Social Prescribing: What it is and how it might help - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Social Prescribing: What it is and how it might help

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope you are not waiting too long! Unfortunately this would depend on your area and isn't something we'd know. Please do keep us updated. :)
    Scope

• Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    Ok, thank you, I will do. 
  • Bettahm
    I've heard back from my counsellor who has done the referral to Social Prescribing, but so far not heard from them. I'd have thought maybe they acknowledge receipt of the referral, but seems not. My counsellor has cancelled counselling because she doesnt think I could take it at the moment. Dont entirely understand that but they know what they're doing.

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Franstrahan   Thank you for your post and sharing.

I do understand one thing about Mental Health if you not happy or need to ask questions. No one is listening used this charity.

https://www.rethink.org.

There an advocate charity speak on your behalf. Explain to those who care for you what you need.

Any questions you need answering.  Have a chat with you before any appointments then be with you as attendance add a voice in the room.

Hope that helps.

One other aspect is finding what is right for you.

I used this one last time.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Mental health charity helped me a lot might not be in your area.  Only problem sorry if that is the case look at MIND.

Consider looking on line for support in your area.

MIND is another one.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

Please if I can help with anything get in touch.

Please keep safe and warm.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Bettahm
    Spiceman:
    I will look at those, especially Rethink. Thank you
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Franstrahan, I'm really glad your counsellor has been able to do the referral for you. It must have been a bit of a shock for them to cancel on you? Will you be seeing them again soon?
    Scope

• Bettahm
    Chloe:
    I dont know. It's a bit weird I think. I said I would like to carry on with the counselling but she doesnt think I could take it and thinks Social Prescribing is the better way to go at the mo, but says I can come back straight away after finished with SP. The first section of counselling I had was kind of 'light' I suppose. Basically just trying to lift your spirits by encouraging you to do things you enjoy. I wanted the kind of counselling where you could talk it through more. Two sessions only with last counsellor. She says it will be like open heart surgery and I'm not ready for it yet. Suppose they know best.
    Spicemans given me Rethink to look at, so I'm going to search through their website.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Franstrahan, I'm glad you have the option to go back. It sounds like you have a lot going on, and like you said, they know better.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for social prescribing and please take care. :)
    Scope

• Bettahm
    I'm taking bets on which I get first: my WCA or a visit from Social Prescribing.
    Thanks Chloe
  • Chloe_Scope
    Haha, I guess we'll have to wait and see @Franstrahan!
    Scope

• Bettahm
    They've been in touch. But I was at hospital and missed call. So hopefully Monday. . .
    Social Prescribing that is. So will post here once heard from them.
  • Chloe_Scope
    That's great news @Franstrahan! I hope you hear from them today. :)
    Scope

• veriterc
    veriterc Community member Posts: 241 Pioneering
    Chloe
    Just read your comment, and seems to me that what we often need is old-fashioned, sensible advice.  And the chance to talk through options with someone who understands how the system works.  When I had cancer, I just wanted a sane and sensible person who could advise me - but instead I kept on being offered counseling when I really needed sound, practical advice.   It's rarer than the proverbial hen's teeth!
  • chefdave
    chefdave Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Never knew it was called social prescribing. I went through this when I was leaving my dark days of C-PTSD. With encouragement from my mental health team and a new job advisor I started volunteering 2 days week. It was very strange to be among people who where not part of my mental health team. It did me a lot of good. Now hold down a part time job. The transition from total self destruct mode to a functioning member of society is an interesting journey. Have had blips on way but glad the worst of dark days are behind me. What little I remember about the 6 month almost total memory blackout is far from pleasant and 2 years of EMDR. the right people behind you, it is amazing what you can achieve. Was lucky that a had a large team of people willing to guide and support me. Still have more progression to achieve but can now contribute to society through my job. Baby steps is the way forward for me. Have finally started to understand what I did in my undiagnosed PTSD state of huge mental processing can no longer be done. Gone from being a leader to a follower but far happier now than I've ever been. Now on threapy sessions to get me to socialize with people in a group/large numbers. Still cannot cope with crowds or confined spaces. Need an exit plan at all times. Perhaps it will never go perhaps it will time will tell. Meeting people in very small groups I cope with and have had many a fun conversation. So hope springs eternal.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thank you very much for sharing this with us @chefdave! It sounds like you have made incredible progress and I'm so glad volunteering was so beneficial for you. :)
    Scope

• Bettahm
    I've made contact with Social Prescribing today. Just the initial thing, they took details etc and my link worker will contact tomorrow, then they will do a home visit. The lady I spoke to today said SP are about getting you out and about in the community, joining groups, or going to the gym - stuff like that. I told her social interaction, social situations are something I have always avoided, so we'll see how it goes. I've always been quite happy in my mostly solitary pursuits. I cant really see that they can change that. My counsellor referred me to them, so think I need to hear more, probably at the home visit.
  • veriterc
    veriterc Community member Posts: 241 Pioneering
    I was like you - did my own thing - until I realised that meeting other people gave me ideas  that helped with dealing with DLA, PIP, etc.  Sadly, today it is so difficult to get the care one needs, but often 5 mins chat with someone one meets out-and-about can provide a solution for dealing with officialdom.  If one doesn't get the right help from officials - it's ones fellows that can provide the elusive tel.no. or the right wording when filling out a form!  
  • Bettahm
    I've had more helpful advice and more 'chat' with various people since I joined this forum then I have in years!
    Its asd that makes the whole social thing, being misunderstood etc, difficult. More then 'once bitten' and now extremely 'shy'. I avoid.
  • Chloe_Scope
    I'm really glad they have been in touch @Franstrahan! I hope the rest of it is useful and please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• Bettahm
    Chloe:
    They rang back. The link worker in this neighbourhood is just getting back to work after sick leave, and unfortunately theres now a six week waiting list. So I should hear by Christmas. Bit disappointing, but nothing I can do.

Brightness