Mobile phone technical problem — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobile phone technical problem

Bettahm
Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
This has just happened and bit concerned as the phone is my only access to the internet.
It was charging, and a message came up: battery charging slowly
Is it telling me theres a problem, if so, any clever technical people out there know what it is.
Thanks

Comments

• Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    Hi Fran ....its not neccessarily a problem , maybe you have apps still running which will mean your using juice as you recharge ..close all apps . 
    If thats not the case then check your USB cable ( or borrow a friends to see if its still charging slowly ,) if it is it could mean your usb port is faulty . .if nothing is obviously worng with the port , try moving your plug around a wee bit to see if maybe in certain positions it is charging ok . Then it is your port to blame ....then ...if all else fails , check your battery ...many phones do not have a replaceable battery these days so you would need to get a phone shop to check it out and a price quote for fixing it .
    good luck ??
  • Bettahm
    Ahoymehearties and Seanchai:
    I leave stuff on to listen to while its charging, but have done that since I had it (april).
    Maybe its flashed up that message before and I haven't noticed.
    Should I just leave it off when its charging?
    Thanks for getting back to me
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    May be that all it needs is for you to shut it down completely but keep it charging overnight.  Too many apps running in the background could be overwhelming the battery's ability to keep up.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Bettahm
    I hope that might be it, as I usually leave something playing while its charging. Long as I haven't done it any permanent damage. I'll switch it off to charge and see if it charges quicker.
    Thanks exdvr
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    I wouldn't have said switching it off to charge it overnight will make any difference. Although just switching it off and back on again could help in general. A phone should charge very quickly, if it's not being used as it's charging. Even more so if you've only had it since April.

Apps can run the battery down quickly and so will music and playing games etc.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bettahm
    I think it may be because I do leave it running while its charging. So I'm going to try leaving it off, see if that fixes it. But the battery does seem to run down quickly. Possibly though because I always have it running listening to sermons on YouTube or whatever. Its constantly working except overnight. Hope it fixes it, if I just give it a 'rest'. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hope your phone is working okay today @Franstrahan!
    Scope

• Bettahm
    Well it's working, probably because I haven't used it much today. Had hospital appointment, so phones had a rest while I've been there. See how it bears up over the weekend. But wont leave anything running while its charging. Hope it's ok as I access the internet on it.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Fingers crossed! I hope your appointment went okay @Franstrahan. :)
    Scope

• Bettahm
    Yes it did. All ok. Message on phone now home, Social Prescribing have rung!! Rang back but no one there, so I've left them a message. Expect it will be Monday now but, great! Things are moving.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Amazing! I hope they get back to you on Monday! :)
    Scope

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    It might be worth checking the health of the battery. What type of phone do you have?
  • Bettahm
    66Mustang:
    It's a Samsung Galaxy J4+
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    If all else fails you could restore to factory settings. 
  • Bettahm
    Cressida:
    How do you do that! 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Sorry I don’t know how to check the battery health on your phone but it could be somewhere in settings, or there could be a free app you can download which does it.

Restore to factory settings should be an option in settings somewhere but I’m not entirely sure for Samsung.
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Doing a hard reset will delete everything on your phone including all your contacts.  Only do this as a very last resort.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Bettahm
    66Mustang:
    Thank you, I'll check in settings. Or Google battery health. Maybe it will need a new battery as I leave it playing while its charging, which you're not suppose to do apparently.
    Cressida:
    Thanks for that, hope I dont need to resort to it.
    Exdvr:
    Thanks for the warning! I think I suspect it's the battery now, but I'll check it out.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    My mobile has just had a week in the hospital....software problem they said. I was lost without it. All better now. Hope your`s is better soon.

Brightness