What financial help would I get? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What financial help would I get?

Options
YatesKJ
YatesKJ Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, thank you for letting me join your group. 
My son is going through a difficult time going to school and it takes my days up. I only work part time, but work are not letting me adjust my shifts as I want, so I'm thinking of leaving and being a full time mom to my 13 year old. 
What financial help would I get?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome,

Does your son claim DLA? do you have any other children? if so, what ages are they?

Are you a member of a trade union at work? if you are then i'd advise you to speak to them about the difficulties you're having with your employer.

Universal Credit is the only benefit available to claim and if your son  (or any other children) aren't claiming DLA/PIP then you'll be expected to look for work  when claiming UC and you could be sanctioned for 26 weeks if you leave your job without good reason. Your reason maybe good enough not to be sanctioned but i can't say that for sure.

Claiming UC will also depend on your circumstances, household income,savings/capital etc. If you're claiming tax credits and housing benefit, these will stop once you claim UC and transfer across and be paid as 1 monthly payment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • YatesKJ
    Options
    I have one son, I claim DLA, child tax credit and working tax credit currently.
    I live with my mom  because we can't afford to live anywhere else.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry i didn't see this reply. Is the DLA claim your or your sons? If it's your sons then depending on circumstances you maybe entitled to claim Universal Credit. but this will depend on savings/capital and income from any partner you may live with.

If you claim UC then your tax credits will stop and be paid through UC as one monthly payment. I'd still advise visiting a local advice agency near you for a full benefits check and further advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • YatesKJ
    Options
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @YatesKJ! Thank you @poppy123456 for your help here!

Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.