Gambling — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Gambling

gram
gram Community member Posts: 9 Listener
I’ve had agoraphobia and now I’ve suffered with depression since 2000 and I also suffer with anxiety , my mental health has impacted on my life very badly , and I’ve had a gambling problem for a couple of years to escape from my mental issues , 
I wondered if anybody has these kind of issues and how they cope with it 

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @gram

Have you contacted Gambling Addiction UK? They can help you cope with your gambling obsession. When you do not gamble, try jotting down your feelings in a notebook and then compare them to your feelings after you do give in to the urge. See if that makes a difference and also take a look at the website below. 
    https://www.gamblersanonymous.org.uk/
    This is a self help article on gambling you may also wish to read too https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/gambling-addiction/. How long have you been gambling for? Don't suffer quietly, seek help. The sooner the better really. Why do you gamble? What was the original reason? 
    Are you seeing a therapist or not? 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    @April2018mom please be mindful of the questions you ask. 

Hi @gram and welcome to the community! Firstly, please do not feel that you have to share any information with us that you don't feel comfortable with sharing.

Secondly, I admit I had a gambling addiction a few years ago during a really dark phase. I hit rock bottom and I turned to gambling to escape what was happening in my life. Once I saw how much money I had spent, well...wasted...that was enough to shock me back into reality. For others, it may take longer to recover from a gambling addiction. Have you seemed any help or advice from your GP?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • gram
    Course I ve ga they didn’t help 
    and gp knows 
  • Ami2301
    Have you heard of GamCare? They offer various support resources and have a free helpline :)
  • gram
    Gamcare was the one who put me onto counselling but that’s finished now and got me into ga which weren’t for me but the counselling helped but that’s all they help their chat line only opens TIL 12 and I was waiting for 33mins
  • gram
    I feel so desperate at the moment 
  • Ami2301
    I understand, I'm happy to hear that counselling helped :) Can your GP refer you for further counselling? 
  • gram
    Wasn’t the gp they don’t deal with addiction like gambling it was gamcare and no I have to be without for 9 mth 
  • Ami2301
    Ok, I'm not an expert in addiction recovery and all I can do is share my own experience and thoughts. In my opinion, I think finding the root cause is the key to taking steps forward. I lost my job, my health was rapidly deteriorating and all my friends had left me, that's why I started gambling.
  • gram
    I was agoraphobic I was bored used a bit of gambling to cope then my wife left because of mental health afree 25 years after a while cos of my anxiety and thought I was lonely it got worse 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @gram   How are you doing did you look at the links I sent you. You sent me a message on my wall.

Please I know what you are going through.

I am myself as said been through rehab. I think what might help here is this organisation.

Called RETHINK 

https://www.rethink.org.

This is a charity for those experiencing problems getting help with their mental health and need other support. Whether dealing with medical professionals.

They represent you on your behalf , speak for you.  Ask what you need to say.

To any support or GP.  Just a thought.

Please I hope any of the links helps.  Any thing you need or wish to ask please contact me.

You have done the right thing contact me by the way on my wall, no problem.

Simply here to support any one struggling with addiction or mental health.

Great my friend @Ami2301 has been supportive, advising you offering kindness.

I apologise for @April2018mom for insensitivity regarding questions.  

Please keep in touch you not alone your a valued member of our community.

Keep safe and warm, always in prayers and thoughts.

Your friend.

@thespiceman .

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness