UC50 QUESTIONNAIRE - MOVING AROUND — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC50 QUESTIONNAIRE - MOVING AROUND

Fibleepy
Fibleepy Community member Posts: 35 Connected
I'm quite confused about what to answer for the moving around question on the UC50 work capability questionnaire.
The questions asks how far I can move safely and repeatedly without having to stop. 
The options show the shortest distance as 50 metres.
I can not take one step without being in pain so do I tick 'it varies' and explain this?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Personally, i would never answer any question on the ESA50 form with the answer "it varies" You need to be more specific than this. Also do be aware that the descriptor is mobilising and not moving around. This means that they will take into consideration your ability to use a self propel wheelchair as well.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Fibleepy
    Hi Poppy123456,
    Thanks for your reply. I don’t use a wheelchair but I can’t walk one metre without pain let alone 50 metres and certainly not repeatedly. There is no option to answer that I can’t move that distance so what do I do? 
  • poppy123456
    Even though you don't use a wheelchair they will take into consideration your ability to use a manual wheelchair. If they think you're capable of using one then they'll find you fit for work. It's not just about the distance you can walk, not for ESA anyway. You definitely need to consider this when filling out the form.

Put the explanation in the box below and if there's not enough room then use extra sheets of paper. There's never enough room on those forms to put all the information down.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Fibleepy
    Ok thanks but which box should I tick? 
  • poppy123456
    I ticked the 50 metres because it was the only box, then i added a long explanation. I've never ticked the varies box because this could cause problems.
  • Fibleepy
    Ok thanks Poppy.
    Does this apply for the other questions too...should I tick No instead of It Varies and put an explanation? It seems like lying if I tick No when actually I can do it some of the time but not all of the time (reaching, for example).
  • poppy123456
    The questions about reaching, one is can you reach your arms high enough to put one of them into your top pocket? I have issues putting my arms up and keeping them up for any length of time but i can certainly put them into a top pocket lol. For me this is a ridiculous question.

If you can't do something repeatedly and reliably then you're classed as not being able to do it at all.

See this guide. It's for the ESA50 form but they are identical forms and are both the work capability assessment forms.

• Fibleepy
    So many of the ‘it varies’ answers should be ‘no’ if I can’t do it repeatedly? 
    Thanks for the link, that’s a great help.
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2019
    You're welcome. Exactly. One thing i never do is tick the varies box. Tick no, followed by the explanation. Adding some real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted or did that activity will also help.

Don't forget to add your name and NI number to every sheet of paper you send. Then send evidence with the form to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for any evidence. If they contact your GP they send them a form which is tick box and a GP very rarely knows how your conditions affect you.
  • Fibleepy
    Thank you Poppy, you have been so helpful as always.
    Have a great day! ?
  • poppy123456
    You're very welcome, i'm glad i could help, a little at least. Good luck with the assessment and please remember to make sure you return that form within the deadline, otherwise you could be found fit for work for failing to return the form.

I will try, enjoy your day too :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.