Disabled holiday in Scotland — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled holiday in Scotland

DavidJ
DavidJ Community member Posts: 55 Pioneering
I have been disabled since 1998 and am a wheelchair user. I am looking to return to my pre accident holiday area around Inverness .
I have the use of a Motability vehicle and my chair is an EPV . Obviously I would not be able to run up Ben Nevis or sail along the lochs but what I am looking for is a self catering base which is disabled friendly from where I can plot my days out .and boat trips!.
As we all know being disabled we have to plan ahead no matter where we go so I would like to ask if anyone in this wonderful community would have any information they could share with me so I can plan a stress free holiday in August 2020 

Comments

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @DavidJ

Could I suggest you consider a Premier Inn, they have three hotels in Inverness, all of which have disabled rooms.

They are larger than the standard, for use of wheelchair and wet rooms.

Must say what a beautiful City Inverness is and have no doubt you will have a wonderful holiday next August.

I remember driving on the A9 and Inverness coming into view, it is the best view of a city, I have ever seen.

Best wishes
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

Hi @DavidJ

I think it all depends on whoever you're holidaying with too.  My wife refuses to accept that a change of kitchen counts as a holiday and so we generally settle on the bigger budget hotel chains such as Premier Inn/Holiday Inn Express. They always have good disabled facilities including lifts, with breakfasts available if not already included in the price.  Plenty available all over Scotland, not just the lovely area around Inverness.  Booking ahead will get you really good prices if you can avoid peak periods. Unfortunately August is right in the middle of peak season so good luck there!

Away from Inverness I would recommend the Oban, Queensferry, and Stirling areas to be well worth visiting, even just for a few nights each touring about.   Scotland is beautiful.

Holiday parks and cottages will be booked up early but for the sake of marital harmony stay away from cooking appliances.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, I help run a holiday group called `Wheelchair friendly and Limited Mobility Holidays`. You can access it via facebook. We have lots of adapted holiday accommodation in Scotland. Why not take a look? Hope you find it useful. I and my friend Martine have compiled many files on the subject. x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    This sounds exciting @DavidJ, you must let us know where you end up going. :)
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @DavidJ

What about Enable Holidays? They are a company aimed at providing tailored vacations for disabled folk. Call them or take a look at their website https://www.enableholidays.com/. Additionally check out the travelling with disabilities forum on Trip Advisor https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i12336-Traveling_With_Disabilities.html
  • KittyTinker
    KittyTinker Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    We usually have a week in Scotland the last week of August into the beginning of September when the local children have started back at school. 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DavidJ, I hope you have a lovely time when you visit Inverness.  It is a beautiful city and great for exploring the lovely Highlands!  I have found this website with some accessible accommodation around the Inverness area if you want to take a look:-

https://www.disabledholidays.com/search/uk-l23/scotland-l29/inverness-l624/#

I think I have stayed in the Premier Inn, in Inverness that @atlas46 has mentioned and found it to be pretty good.  I'm sure you will have a great time anyway wherever you stay as Scotland has some lovely scenery, although being a Scot myself I am probably biased!  I hope you enjoy and let us know how you get on.  All the best.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • DavidJ
    Apologies for delay in responding folks .
    Just had a bad few days .
    @atlas46 - thanks for the information about premier inn . I have used them before and they are good . However it’s not quite what we are looking for this time around . More peace and tranquility and the absence of a timetable for meals . Especially breakfast . It depends on if and how I sleep as to the time I surface!! Hence self catering .
    @exdvr you are 100% correct . I would never dream of taking er indoors from one kitchen to another !!
    Its the convenience of facilities we want. We eat out mostly , but enjoy a leisurely breakfast . Self catering for us has the freedom of movement and more space than a hotel room ,plus usually somewhere to sit out or god forbid stay in if the weather is against us.
    I thank everyone who has posted on this thread and will be following up all suggestions.
    @Chloe_Scope lt will be a pleasure to post again when holiday is completed .
    I may post on Facebook on a daily basis too.
    I have travelled all over Scotland highlands and lowlands but not since I became disabled in 1998 .
    As ex military I realised that planning when disabled is an absolute must !!!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling very well @DavidJ! Anything we can do to help?

I look forward to hearing about your holiday. :)
    Scope

• DavidJ
    Hi Chloe .Well that was an eventful couple of years !!! Just as i was planning a good break in the place of my ancestors . 2020 took us all by surprise and halted plans for all of us . I sheltered for TWO years and when let out amongst the population i caught Covid and down i went . !!
    Now a year later with a few side effects i am  finally going to Scotland on holiday !!
    Found a lovely bungalow on 
    Disabledholidays.com 

• DavidJ

PA Sheltering for two years was a doddle . With my early years training and living on my own !!
    Maybe some of the rest of you now know how we live ALL the time and not just a pandemic 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    @DavidJ I'm glad to hear you are finally going on your Scottish Holiday! :) What have you planned for it? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • DavidJ
    Hi Hannah 
    I had already worked out roughly where we were going before the pandemic struck .
    I had been on ancestry and done a DNA test and family tree . Surprised to discover i am 51% Scottish ! Then after digging into my mothers side i found out that i am related to the Irvines and the Hamiltons . After all this i went onto disabled holidays.com and found a suitable bungalow called Meadowsweet in a small place caled Drimvore . Near Lochgilphead . 
    I sat on the information for two years !! Finally we get to go in August for two weeks .
    Anyone who reads this will be welcome to visit !! 
    I am a retired surveyor so have both paper maps and a decent sat nav. 
  • DavidJ
    Not really planned to do a great deal whilst in Scotland . Mainly to unwind after the events of the last couple of years . Quiet reflection and laziness is too of the list 
    Both my daughter and i use wheelchair s so everything we do is based around that . I go more for the scenery than anything else , but will see what else we do when we are there 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    That's amazing! I have also been digging into my ancestry the past few years, it's amazing what you discover! 

That sounds like the best kind of holiday, take a book or two with you and just relax! :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness