Fibromyalgia? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fibromyalgia?

Gw75
Gw75 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited November 2019 in Cerebral palsy
Hello, I need a bit of advice please. 
I'm showing all the symptoms of fibromyalgia but Im unsure whether to go to the docs again about it. 
Been feeling like it for almost 12 months now.
Symptoms include... 
Pain pretty much everywhere every day. 
Can't sleep at night because if I stay in one position for so long I seize up and it then hurts to move again. 
I struggle to get out of bed in the morning because I feel like ive been hit by a bus. 
Permanently tired and when I do feel a little energetic it don't last long then all I want to do is sleep. 
It really is driving me mad and on top of that I'm insulin dependant.
Whaat are everyone's thoughts. 
Many thanks. 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Gw75 and a very warm welcome to the community! I'm so sorry to hear you are experiencing so much pain. I would recommend going to see your GP. Have you ever seen a pain clinic?

I am also tagging @debbiedo49 who has fibro to see if she has any advice. :)
    Scope

• Gw75
    I told the gp what I thought and they basically glossed it over. I had invasive heart surgery 2 days before last Xmas and I woke up on the table while they were still operating and I've never been right since then. I've read in can arise from trauma etc.
    Some days are good and some days I just wanna cry and go to bed because I haven't got the strength to even lift a kettle. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Gw75, oh my word! This must have been so terrifying! Have you had any counselling or spoken to a professional about this? It sounds like it's still having a big affect on you. You are always entitled to another opinion and to see a different GP.
    Scope

• Gw75
    It wasn't a pleasant experience to say the least. It should've been a straight forward procedure but the anaesthetic wore off. I've got an appointment with my diabetic doctor soon so I'll be having a chat with her about it. A woman at work has Fibro and she thinks I've got it too. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    I'm sorry to hear that. I hope they can point you in the right direction or refer you. Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Hi, I've not been on for a while lots going on right now which wears me down. What can I say? Yes they say that fibro can be triggered by trauma. I had a trauma the straw that broke the camels back and had to stop working. Many years of chronic pain was finally diagnosed as fibro by my gp. Other people are diagnosed differently like at hospitals by a consultant. Where I live, now g p s can diagnose. However, it depends on them or your luck what treatment O services you are offered. Also, as well as being diagnosed and getting a treatment plan, you can ask to be referred for cognitive behaviour therapy to help you deal with your symptoms. There can be mental as well as physical symptoms of fibro. However, what I would do is write down all your symptoms, and a diary of how they affect you. Then go to a g p that you trust and state your case clearly. Take someone with you if you can.  Here are some useful links. Hope this helps. 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/fibromyalgia/symptoms/

http://www.fmauk.org/2-uncategorised/52-what-is-fibromyalgia

http://www.fmauk.org/general-articles-highlights-208/697-finallyeffective-treatment-for-fatigue-pain-cfs-and-fm

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cognitive-behavioural-therapy-cbt/

Microwave Wheat Bag - Microwavable Soothing Heat Therapy Pad Zhu-Zhu Soothing Heat Pack - Unscented Microwave Wheat Bag

Multiuse Heat Pad - Microwavable Lavender Wheat Bag - Purple Fleece

I have a couple of these I use on my neck and body to help soothe pain

You can get different types of hot and cold packs online or in chemists.
    There are some other threads on here about fibromyalgia and chronic pain too.
    Also inbox me if you want to chat. Thanks 

• joknight
    joknight Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi well I’ve had Fibro as well as other illnesses now for 9 years my nurse practitioner told me I had it and in all honesty if I kept getting fobbed off by my doctor I’d find a new doctor Hun, those symptoms are apart of fibro yes but they also could be part of something else the doctor should listen to you if your telling him something is wrong!
    i hope you get something sorted huni x
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I have got fibromyalgia and ME. I have a very good doctor who did lots of tests when I told him about all of my symptoms. I went to a different doctor a few years ago who told me that there was nothing wrong with me and that I was making it up. I have a friend who also has fibromyalgia and was told by her doctor that fibromyalgia does not exist! I agree with joknight about changing doctors.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Well, that must have been especially frustrating! Unfortunately, you're not the only person to have experienced that.  :s
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Hi Adrian_Scope.  it was very frustrating as he was the dr that diagnosed me with fibromyalgia and ME in the first place. He said he was going to refer me back to the pain clinic which I told him was no good as I had an assessment with them a few months ago and they told me I was coping perfectly well with things. 

Brightness