Direct payments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Direct payments

kenny
kenny Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
I have a car on the motobility scheme, I also use direct payments for taxis as my dad works during the day. as I have mental health, as well as cerebral palsy, it is vital I get out during the day, my mum is my main carer, and is 71years old, and has health issues of her own,  I use taxis to get out during the day to go to the gym, with helps with my mental health, and gives my mum a break. Social services are trying to stop me using direct payment for taxis, on the grounds that I have a motobility car, I have been using them for eight years, for taxis, I believe that they can use their discretion and allow me to use the direct payment for transport, am I correct in thinking this?.

Comments

• exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    kenny said:
    I have a car on the motobility scheme, I also use direct payments for taxis as my dad works during the day. as I have mental health, as well as cerebral palsy, it is vital I get out during the day, my mum is my main carer, and is 71years old, and has health issues of her own,  I use taxis to get out during the day to go to the gym, with helps with my mental health, and gives my mum a break. Social services are trying to stop me using direct payment for taxis, on the grounds that I have a motobility car, I have been using them for eight years, for taxis, I believe that they can use their discretion and allow me to use the direct payment for transport, am I correct in thinking this?.

I'm going to have a rant here because what gives them the right to stop you spending your money in any way you like?     GRRR!!!  

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @kenny

In simple terms, you are correct.

Direct Payments, as the name suggests, are to empower the recipient.

As you have funded your taxi use, from this source, which did not cause the social services to intervene.

Have you got a name social worker or support worker?

You need to check your right of appeal against this decision.

Are there any advocacy charities near you?

I dealt with direct payments, on behalf of my brother in law, for over 10 years.

You need to dig your heels in and get as much support as possible.

Keep us informed.

With Best wishes.
  • kenny
    Thanks atlas46 their argument is they are not stopping the direct payment, as I am entitled to it, but they want me to spend it on what they dictate me to, what is the use of paying some one to shower me then stuck at home all day, we receive no other help from them at all, it is complete madness, as you say it was introduced to empower us to live our own lives.
  • Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 183 Pioneering
    does it say in your care plan that you will be funding the taxies from your direct payments - if so they cannot stop you from doing so without coming out and reassessing you, if not then yes they can stop you as you cannot use the money for whatever you like you can only use it for what is agreed in your care plan.

Just as a secondary question why do you have a car from Motability if you use taxies and not the car to get around?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I agree with Jean here, it depends if it's in your care plan. I'd advise you to check.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kenny
    The reason I use taxis, is because only my Dad drives, and he works full time, I use the car evening and week ends, but in the day time I am stuck for transport. Thanks
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Apparently you can't drive a car and have Cognitive Problems - or so I was just told in another thread. I swear it's made up as they go along 
  • poppy123456
    pcoventry said:
    Apparently you can't drive a car and have Cognitive Problems - or so I was just told in another thread. I swear it's made up as they go along 
    Kenny doesn't drive, he uses taxi's when the father isn't able to drive them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    kenny said:
    The reason I use taxis, is because only my Dad drives, and he works full time, I use the car evening and week ends, but in the day time I am stuck for transport. Thanks
    Is the taxi's in your care plan? If it isn't they are correct to question the reasons why you're using the direct payments for the taxi's. Especially because you have a mobility car. Is there anyone else that can drive you to where you need to go when your dad isn't available?
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I have been in receipt of Direct Payments for 8 years.
    When my care plan was drawn up, it was made clear to me that the funding was to be used to pay my carers.

I don't believe it would be for taxis, unless it has been previously discussed and okayed.
     Perhaps you need a new care assessment, which would include paying a carer to take you out in your car.

That`s what I do.

• poppy123456
    Hi I have been in receipt of Direct Payments for 8 years.
    When my care plan was drawn up, it was made clear to me that the funding was to be used to pay my carers.

I don't believe it would be for taxis, unless it has been previously discussed and okayed.
     Perhaps you need a new care assessment, which would include paying a carer to take you out in your car.

That`s what I do.

Completely agree here. My daughter receives direct payments and this is to be used to pay her support worker to take her out and help in the kitchen. She definitely couldn't use it to pay for taxi's to her where she wants to go.
  • Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 183 Pioneering
    my care plan includes cleaning so I hired a professional cleaning company when I first started using direct payments, on my first audit 3 months later I was told I wasn't allowed to use a cleaning company - yes I was allowed to pay for cleaning but it had to be done by the carer/care company staff, not a bespoke cleaning service.

SS is really strict on what and where you can spend the money even if it is in the care plan.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kenny, I can understand your frustrations around this. Like others have said, is taxis on your care plan? If this is not the case then unfortunately you won't be able to spend the money on this, and would have to be reassessed if you wanted to continue doing this. I hope this helps. :) 
    Scope

• April
    April Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
    my care plan includes cleaning so I hired a professional cleaning company when I first started using direct payments, on my first audit 3 months later I was told I wasn't allowed to use a cleaning company - yes I was allowed to pay for cleaning but it had to be done by the carer/care company staff, not a bespoke cleaning service.

SS is really strict on what and where you can spend the money even if it is in the care plan.
    I think the SS should be quite flexible though. I don't think they can dictate where you get your help from. There have been issues with other boroughs being too prescriptive about the use of Direct Payments. What matters is the outcome.
    So if you can get a professional company to clean for the same price, then that should be okay.
    As for the taxi question, my daughter uses taxis and these are paid by the SS via direct payment. I was told that I can use the transport money in any way I want to eg. paying for a driver for our car, or using a taxi. If the cost is the same then they don't have a problem. Direct payments are meant to be used flexibly.

Brightness