PIP and Epilepsy - Page 5 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and Epilepsy

1235»

Comments

• mac1976
    mac1976 Community member Posts: 63 Listener
    Thank you I worry all the time over nothing anyway. I didn’t sleep much the night before the Assement she was lovely anyway and put me at ease with her understanding. It was at home so that made me feel a bit better. Hopefully I will still get something 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @mac1976. I'm glad to read your assessor seemed understanding. Best of luck with the decision, I hope you hear back soon. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Hannah2610
    Hannah2610 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    My assessor the first time round seemed like she really understood how my condition effects me. I believed she was understanding, I was wrong.
    I had to go through a tribunal, whilst waiting for that tribunal there was a change in case law  with regards to safety and supervision. I believe I was actually the first person to reach a tribunal after this change. I basically walked in a room, they brought up the change, an I walked out of there with standard care and enhanced mobility.
    I am now going through the process again :(
    I am really upset that they question my memory and emotions. I have TLE, an I've had a lot of seizures, partials and generalised. My memory is in bits, an my emotional state has been noted for the past 10 years. They asked me...why didn't you mention you have anxiety and depression? 
    I applied for PIP based on the fact I had epilepsy, not anxiety and depression. An if you look at my diagnosis letter, they put everything on the epilepsy. It causes issues way beyond just falling to the floor. It's a painful process, an it's very hard having to stress how it effects you, when it's there in black and white.xxx
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @Hannah2610,

I am sorry to hear that you are having to go through the tribunal process again!
    I hope that the result goes in your favour.
    Keep us updated and let us know if we can be of any help.
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • mac1976
    I’m actually waiting now for a result it’s been 9 weeks now. I’m feeling so down at the minute my seizures are affecting my mood I feel like the is a dark fog in my brain that cannot be lifted. I’m there right with you. Good luck let’s hope we both get a result. I’m on pins with it all just waiting for the letter to arrive. I’m not putting much hope up. I did say I couldn’t explain it with pen to paper I’d rather speak it out. 
  • saz11
    saz11 Community member Posts: 121 Pioneering
    @mac1976

Hello i haven't been on for a while but your post popped up i had a quick read through the thread again. Its really disgraceful the amount of time taken to make these decisions and  thats not even to mention the impact this has on your day to day life. I remember it well all the waiting time i went through. I also remember the waiting time on the decision to stop my award only took 6 days from my assessment. 

Sorry i am having a bit of a rant it just angers me that this is allowed and in the meantime your health suffers.

Really i just wanted to say good luck and i really hope you hear soon take care x 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    mac1976 said:
    I’m actually waiting now for a result it’s been 9 weeks now. I’m feeling so down at the minute my seizures are affecting my mood I feel like the is a dark fog in my brain that cannot be lifted. I’m there right with you. Good luck let’s hope we both get a result. I’m on pins with it all just waiting for the letter to arrive. I’m not putting much hope up. I did say I couldn’t explain it with pen to paper I’d rather speak it out. 
    if you had your assessment 9 weeks ago you can contact them and ask for a copy of the assessors report (PA4) which will give you an indication of the award they are suggesting, the DWP usually follow the recommendation.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again @mac1976 - It's good to hear from you again, but sorry to read you're not feeling so well. I know it's a hard thing to do, but try not to worry; that doesn't change anything. Sorry it's taking so long to hear the result; I do hope it's not much longer.
    Did you ask for a copy of the assessor's report? The DWP Decision Maker usually agrees with that, so it would give you an indication of how many points you've scored, & what any award might be.
    How did you get on at the Walton Centre?
  • mac1976
    I haven’t asked for the report I will ask for it. The doctor at the Walton centre has upped my tablets. I will be getting a appointment for a ECG to see what’s going on. I’m getting terrible headaches since they have put them up so I’m on codine for them. Thank you for asking. Xxx
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Please do ask for a copy of the Health Care Professional's report. Do you know when you'll get an ECG? Sorry to read about what you're going through. It must be very difficult for you. Please do talk here any time & let us all know how you are.
  • mac1976
    I’m worried to ring them to be honest. I’ve had DLA for 16 years. Knowing that it can just be taken away in weeks is really worrying. 
  • mac1976
    I’m worrying yet the is a women 2 doors from me who claims she can’t walk or bend yet she was in her garden laying decking. Then there’s me with something that’s completely out of my control and I might have to jump through hoops to prove how I am. That angers me. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    Please don't judge others. PIP is about how your condition affects you at least 50% of the time over a 12 month period and not how you're affected all of the time. People do have good days and bad days and on those good days they maybe able to do more things.

No one knows exactly how a persons conditions affect them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mac1976
    Yes suppose I shouldn’t have said that. 
  • mac1976
    Well my letter has arrived I’m at my mums house. My husband has just rang to say the brown envelope has come. I told him to open it. I haven’t got it. That’s all he has said and to read it myself when I get home. I’m not going to appeal. Just going to get in with my life now with nothing hanging over me. Thanks everyone. X
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Really sorry to hear this @mac1976!! If you do change your mind and wish to appeal then we will all be here to help. If you need any support then please let us know.
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear this. If you do decide to request the MR then you will have 1 month from the date of the decision. You should put this in writing stating where and why you think you should have scored those points. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Do remember that DLA and PIP are different benefits with different criteria. PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

Most MR decisions remain the same so you'll very likely have to take it to Tribunal Waiting times are huge in most areas so it's likely you'll be waiting about a year for a hearing date.

Yes, it's a long process but if you think you're entitled then you should challenge that decision.

Have a read of this link and it will give you some idea what the PIP descriptors and criteria mean.

Do be aware that your DLA ending could affect any other benefits you maybe claiming.

If you do change your mind and have further questions then please do ask and i'm sure someone will help and advise you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mac1976
    Thanks I’m not bothering I don’t claim anything else just the DLA. So it’s only that I’m losing. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.