PIP assessment doesn't work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessment doesn't work

sempre
sempre Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited November 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all, myself and my son have been turned down for pip even though we were both awarded DLA, we have also been declined the mandatory appeal after waiting 10 weeks. I'm so angry that we now have to wait months for a court appeal, and the thought of it all terifies me, will they ever realise that this pip assessment doesn't work.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger

Hi @sempre - Welcome to this very supportive community. I'm very sorry to read yourself & son are facing difficulties with PIP. 

I received DLA & had to move onto PIP so appreciate what you're going through. The problem is PIP is different to DLA looking at how your disability affects you, rather than being about any diagnosis, as I'm sure you know. Sadly most Mandatory Reconsiderations are unsuccessful; the good news being that many do receive the award they feel correct if they appear in person at the Tribunal. 

I will leave it to others to better advise you, & if you have any questions, please do say.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @sempre. I completely understand your anger. Will someone be attending the tribunal with you?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I feel for you too.
    Awaiting my decision.
    take care xxx
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sempre, welcome to the community. I'm so sorry to hear this and completely see why you would be annoyed. Is there anything we can do to help?
    Scope

• sempre
    Thank you for all your messages, I am still waiting on a date for my appeal, and my son is in the process of appealing after his mandatory appeal was turned down. We both have citizens advice helping us, and will wait and see. I am angry more for my son, than me, although the stress of it all is making me sick. I try not to get to upset, but my son although now 40 tried to commit suicide at the age of 21, jumping from a bridge, he broke his back in two places and shattered his heel, he in my mind was extremely lucky, however he is limited to what he can do. He can walk a little, with a stick, but this causes him so much pain, he has to self irrigate to empty his bowels, and is waiting on the hospital for help with his urinalry problems too. He is clinically depressed, and so much more. He met a lovely girl in 2017, and in 2018 they got married, she has been a great help, looking after him, and to be completely honest taken some of the stress from myself and husband, but since losing his DLA, his mental health has not been to good, and you are constantly worrying. So you see not only am I fighting for myself, but my son too. This site is such a help for me, because so many people are in the same boat, and with government cuts, the help is very limited. So thank you for listening.
  • sempre
    I also meant to say that my son was on high rate mobility, and low rate care. On PIP he was awarded 0 points for all categories. 
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @sempre - it's worth bearing in mind that DLA & PIP are two different things with different criteria so the fact that you qualified for one doesn't mean that you'll qualify for the other.

Can I suggest that that you have a read through the forum and find out what the different activities are that are considered for PIP. It's better to base your appeal on these ...

Good luck with your appeal...
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sempre, I'm so sorry to hear about your current situation. It sounds like things have been really tough for you all. Is there anything we can help with?
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.