Hi, my name is northernlass! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is northernlass!

northernlass
northernlass Community member Posts: 6 Connected
Thank you for letting me join the forum.  I have profound hearing loss but have two BAHA's which help a great deal.  My deafness was caused y years ago with the growth of a benign brain tumour called a Acoustic Neuroma.  

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there! I`m also a northern lass. What bit are you from?

I have one sided deafness and it`s a pain, so your`s must be so difficult.
  • northernlass
    Hi Pollyanna, it was 7 years ago when my tumour made itself known.  Yeah, it has been difficult, no hearing on my right side now but the cochlear and nerve on the left side work, so the BAHA's take in sound from both sides but work with the left hearing, a bit complicated but a miracle, as they use my skull as an ear drum.  I am from Oldham.  I had open heart surgery 3 years ago to have my aortic valve replaced, and suffer from quite bad tinnitus and balance problems.  Yet, at age 64, have sleepless nights at the thought of signing onto Universal Credit, Britain today.  Ah, well, I hope you are doing ok. 

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again...I`m from t`other side o`pennines! West Yorkshire, near Halifax.

I`m 67 and have been disabled 20 years. I lost mobility about 18 years ago and managed to stand and turn...but that went too.

I am hoisted for all transfers. I have hubby and carers looking after me.

I`m in the middle of a PIP from DLA claim. Stress is not good!
  • northernlass
    Hi Pollyanna, Halifax is not that far away, I remember going to the Speedway there, in my youth, following the Belle Vue Aces, blimey that brings back some memories,  LOL.  You sound like you have had things pretty rough over the last 20 years, we never know what life can bring when we are younger, but as long as we can keep on smiling, that is important.  I lost my husband in February, he had COPD (lung disease), but went through the DLA to PIP with him, you should have no problems, a form to fill in, a phone call from a really lovely young man at the DWP, and it even went up to full entitlement, which was a shock.  So don't get stressed !

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Welcome to the community @northernlass. If you have any queries at all about Universal Credit or anything else, please don't hesitate to ask. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @northernlass and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  You have been through a lot and I am sorry to hear of this.  I wish you well in the Universal Credit process.  We are a friendly bunch of people on the Community so please let us know if we can be of any help/support to you.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness