court costs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

court costs

Options
pollyanna1052
pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
Just wondering.....who pays the court costs when  PIP case goes to tribunal?

If the case is unsuccessful, does the claimant pay it?

If it is successful, does DWP pay it? If so, is this why they sometimes offer a claimant an award BEFORE it goes to tribunal after it has been set?

Comments

• zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    it's free, the Government pays either way win or lose, and if you win, it's backdated from when you started, so win win to go tbh, lose makes no difference, just less money and more stress
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks...it occurred to me after reading a new post from someone in that situation.

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi what's criteria for get legal aid in 2019
  • Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    Options
    It's effectively one government department (Ministry of Justice) paying the fees of another government department (Department of Work and Pensions).

The MOJ have complained about this is as it comes out their budget. They're underfunded and understaffed - meaning many people wait well over a year for a tribunal date.

• zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    mine is just under 6 months, and so far as other bodies haven't returned my papers or done there work, won't be ready by the 26th of November, and i've asked for it to be delayed, but as of yet after a week waiting, heard nothing as a reply, so seems the answer is no, but i'll go all the same and show them what i have, and also mention everyone who i am still waiting for, as i start a job in January, so careless now either way
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Misscleo said:
    You don't need legal aid for a Tribunal for a benefit claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @pollyanna1052, thanks for asking this. I've always found the topic interesting!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Misscleo said:
    As Poppy said, you don't need legal aid for a benefit appeal tribunal. However in case you were asking for something else, there is some information on the Gov site here: https://www.gov.uk/legal-aid/eligibility
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.