Carer's Allowance taken away from my Universal Credit? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carer's Allowance taken away from my Universal Credit?

Options
Georgecov
Georgecov Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited November 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi i am single father who cares for disabled woman .Why is it that when i was claiming income support and tax credits that carers allowance was extra income to help you it wasnt touched, but now on uc which is extremely low, take my CA away.   And now i also cant get free school meals for my son 

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Georgecov and welcome to the community.

Carer's Allowance was always taken into account as income on all income-related legacy benefits. The deduction wasn't as obvious on Income Support because it didn't break it down in the way UC does. It's classed as an overlapping benefit so taken away.

However, you should then be receiving the carers premium. On Universal Credit this is £160 and should appear as a separate section on your Universal Credit statement. Can I check that you are receiving this?

Unless your income has changed or someone in the household is working and earning over the threshold, you should still be entitled to free school meals. Have you reapplied since switching to Universal Credit? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Georgecov
    Georgecov Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I have aplied for meals on uc and got refused.He was getting meals in primary school but not now ? I am single no one works
    I was on income support and tax credits before i claimed careers and my money never changed they are loseing over 90 pound per week on uc
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Georgecov. Are you sure everything is correct with your UC claim? That does seem a lot of money to be losing. 
    On your Universal Credit statement does it have the following sections:

Standard Allowance
    Child Element
    Carer's Element
    (And Housing Element, if you rent)

Then the deduction of £286 for overlapping Carer's Allowance?

From the information you've given I can't understand why you'd be rejected for free school meals either. Did the decision letter give a reason? 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.