What's your favourite act of kindness? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What's your favourite act of kindness?

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited November 2019 in Coffee lounge
Today, 13th November, is World Kindness Day!

It may seem obvious to show others kindness and to just support someone who needs a helping hand, but I know this isn't always the case!

Kindness really can make someone's day and put a smile on their face. However, this can be achieved my the smallest thing. This could be helping someone onto a train or picking up something they have dropped.

As a disabled young person I believe I actually experience the kindness of others more often. Yes, I have a lot of negative experiences with the general public, but I also have a lot of very positive ones. It was only last week that I was lost in a train station (because assistance hadn't turned up) and a stranger offered to guide me to the barriers. This simple thing really did make my day and allowed me to carry on independently.   

What act of kindness have you done recently? Have you recently received an act of kindness? Let us know in the comments below!
Scope

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Glad to hear about the act of kindness from the good samaritan who helped you last week, Chloe.  I can imagine that when your assistance didn't turn up that it made you feel rather anxious.  It does restore your faith in human kind when people do kind things.  

When I am out on my own in my wheelchair or mobility scooter I do find a lot of kind people who hold doors open for me and ask if they can help me in any way.  Most of the time I can manage and politely decline, but sometimes am only too glad for their kindness.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    This morning I was with my son in town. Someone kindly helped me push his chair. When I really need it, I will ask. This afternoon I took a bouquet of flowers to my sick neighbor next door. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    That's lovely to hear @Ails and @April2018mom! :)
    Scope

• paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    I like it when some parents of young children teach them to stand back for a moment to "let the lady with the walking stick through". 

And when I thank the kids they look happy with themselves that they've helped.  :)

Bringing them up to be kind, always a good thing. 
  • paffuto10
    Actually had a tear in my eye then, when I wrote that! 

Daft old goat!!  :D 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Chloe_Scope   Thank you for sharing your story.

I do understand is a positive aspect of life to have some one impart and give you some support.

I try to every day be on here to help those. Offer my love, respect and kindness. Compassion and a lot of empathy.

I have in the past too proud to admit this being a Gentle man of the community and the parish I reside in. Always have a heart helping those who need a kind word.

Being a Christian is not all about preaching quoting the bible is it being a friend to those in a need.

Listening and being supportive.

I appreciate the kindness towards me makes my soul some warm words and a thank you.

Does help.  Even if sometimes I do not get anything I still think have done my best offered my time my heart to think they can move on.

Also one other it is an aspect of human nature to be hospitable and offer some support to those in a situation that they may find themselves in.

We need to be aware of that.

I know need to say but if we all behaved with some kindness, love, respect and be just compassionate.

The World would be a society and community we could all embrace.

Be part of.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • paffuto10
    Here's a lovely one that happened just today. 

Daughter is in the middle of moving into her own place. 

Carpet fitter came today. 
    Hubby is in his 60's and has arthritis in knees, and severe spondylosis in neck. 

The carpet fitter was only paid to fit lounge and bedroom carpets. 

He saw hubby struggling on his knees in the hall, laying down carpet tiles. 
    This lovely guy took over, finished the hall carpet squares and wouldn't accept any extra money!   :)

• hippydaz
    hippydaz Community member Posts: 7 Connected

Just a smile from a stranger...

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    My neighbor made me a cup of tea today. She also offered to watch my two on Monday whilst I am at the doctors. 
  • Hardcheese
    Hardcheese Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    Showing a bit of love in whatever form
     Respect!, Help! Support! Caring!

It's all love at the end of the day
  • Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    @Chloe_Scope I really enjoyed reading this post, it's great. ?
  • Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
  • Chloe_Scope
    These are all lovely! What a great experience @paffuto10. :) 
    Scope

Brightness