Relative with MS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Relative with MS

Options
Andy1234
Andy1234 Community member Posts: 28 Connected
I am really after some advice for my mother as her husband has recently been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. He has been struggling for 18 months or so and is in his 70's as is my mother. They are both finding it increasingly harder to deal with day to day tasks and aren't getting any support. What is the best thing to do? Are they entitled to any benefits, even though they have private pensions? I really want to help them but not sure what to advise?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,988 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Do either of them claim DLA? If not then Attendance Allowance isn't means tested but whether they will qualify will depend on the help they need. This link will give you more information.

The only other benefit will be pension credit but this will depend on their circumstances and as they are claiming a private pension then they may not be entitled to pension credit. I would advise both of them to visit an advice agency near them for a full benefits check. This will they will be able to give them all the correct information based on their circumstances, which is very difficult to do on an internet forum.

If they are unable to visit an advice agency then i'd advise them to ring ageuk. https://www.ageuk.org.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Andy1234

Have they had a needs assessment or not? The MS society is a good source of information on MS including benefits advice. Take a look at their website or phone them tomorrow https://www.mssociety.org.uk/
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Andy1234, I hope the advice from others have been helpful. How are you getting on?
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.