Support after I have my new hip Op — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Support after I have my new hip Op

Annabel
Annabel Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Will I get support after discharge?

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, before you where discharged from hospital you will or should have had a visit from a OP who would have ensured you where able to cope when you returned home and had Infomation about who would at home be caring for you and able to provide aids to help with your mobility around the house. Having just been discharged myself I had all the aid that I needed .
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Hi....I agree with @wilko if you're an NHS patient and it will take time and patience.   If you go private you could be winning tennis championships in just a few months!.  Take care.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    When my mother in law had her first hip replacement she was 67, she used a walking frame for about 3 weeks but after that she was quite mobile as long as she avoided running for buses, my wife stayed with her for the first 2 weeks but after that she could manage round the house.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    When I had my hip replacement, I also had an O.T. go out to my house to see if it was suitable for me and they checked who would be caring for me and if I needed any special aids to help me, so was really good.  I also got regular visits from a community nurse as I had picked up a UTI while in hospital so came out with a catheter.  The important thing I got told in the hospital was that I shouldn't bend for up to 12 weeks just in case of dislocation, but everything went fine and I'm sure yours will too, @Annabel.  Wishing you well and welcome to the Community too.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @woodbine

Have you had a OT visit or not? This needs to take place prior to discharge day. Use a notebook and pen to take notes. Make sure to do all recommended exercises. Try not to stay still. Keep moving. See this article for additional information 
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/having-surgery/recovery/
    You can return to work within two months of the operation. Take it easy however and this means no climbing or any kind of physical work either. You can even join a rehab programme too if you feel like doing so. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Annabel, I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. Do you have a date?
    Scope

Brightness