Reporting changes — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reporting changes

starbuck
starbuck Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
I feel sick with worry today and I don't know if I'm worrying over nothing or not. 
Our son's child tax credits finished this week and I rang up Income Support to inform them. My husband then rang his ESA to inform them too but I'm terrified now he's contacted them they'll reassess him for his ESA.
My husband says it's just my anxiety making me overthink things but I really wish he hadn't phoned them. 

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @starbuck, I'm sorry to read this is worrying you. Informing them of a change to income won't trigger a reassessment and it is important he makes them aware of changes like that. 

If he's sent for a reassessment, it would be purely coincidental.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • starbuck
    Thank goodness for that. I've been worried sick. Looking at the paperwork we have from them it says to inform them of changes to other family members benefits. Our older son started to receive Pip and ESA around 3 years ago but I don't think we told my husband's ESA about this. Surely they must know by now? Or will he have to update them about this? I find it so confusing working out who to tell about which changes. 
    I know we informed the council when he first received these benefits but I'm sure ESA weren't updated. Just another thing to set off my anxiety!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    You son's benefits won't affect either yours or your husbands ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • starbuck
    So does that mean I don't need to update them? 
  • poppy123456
    Your son is an adult in his own right and his benefits will not affect any benefits you're entitled to.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • starbuck
    So no need to tell them then? Sorry to keep banging on about this. I'm still trying to convince myself I'm worrying over nothing thinking they will reassess my husband ?
  • starbuck
    It says to report changes to benefits anyone else in the house gets. I get so paranoid about needing to report everything! Do I not need to inform them as it wouldn't affect our money in any way? 
  • poppy123456
    As advised your son's benefits have have no impact on any benefits you're entitled to. Even though it states all changes need to be reported this isn't a change of circumstances and you don't need to tell DWP that your son is claiming ESA.
  • starbuck
    edited November 2019
    Thankyou! And my husband won't be reassessed because he phoned them?
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. No,he won't be, as Adrian has advised, if he is sent another work capability assessment form then it will be pure coincidence. Remember he can be re-assessed anytime from 3 months.
  • starbuck

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.