PIP backpay (and ESA) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP backpay (and ESA)

Options
Jurph
Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
Hi!

I won my PIP tribunal in August and received a large sum in backpay. More money than I've ever seen! It was 18 months worth.

I understand that this sum doesn't effect my Income Related ESA for 1 year. It that from when it went in the bank or from the tribunal date?

Also, I gave half of it to my Mum as payment for debt. (We agreed she'd get half of the backpay, whatever it was and call it quits, I actually gave her more than I owed). Do the DWP look at this as deprivation of capital seeing as I gave some away? 

I'm scared to buy any luxuries in case they think I'm wasting it.

Thanks!

PS. I'm really happy this is my biggest problem  :D

Comments

• affii1993
    affii1993 Community member Posts: 103 Courageous
    Options
    It’s your spend and do whatever, but one advice always keep saving so in the future something like this happen you can rely on your saving 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

It's completely disregarded for 1 year and what you do with it during that year is entirely your choice. If at the end of that year you have more than £6,000 in savings, you'll need to contact DWP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jurph
    Options
    Thanks @poppy123456 and @affii1993

I feel I'm having to justify my spending at the moment thinking they'd ask why I purchased such luxuries.

I just didn't want it to come back and bite me. I'm keeping some in savings but want to enjoy a nice Christmas too.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You don't have to justify anything because it's completely disregarded for those 52 weeks. You don't need to keep receipts, you can do exactly what you want with it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jurph
    Options

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.