Speech and language therapy built into care package — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Speech and language therapy built into care package

Options
thornintheside
thornintheside Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My son is now 50 yrs. old; we are, as many others will be, very anxious for his future when we are no longer around.  He currently lives in his own bungalow in his own tenancy supported by a care package from the local social services.  But that package fails him since it does not provide for his very specific LANGUAGE needs; not his speech but his ability to use and understand language.  

We are therefore seeking a service provision where he can receive input from a speech and language therapist BUILT INTO his care package, rather than having to rely on the piecemeal and substandard arrangements currently in place; which does NOT meet the needs required.     Does anyone know of a facility that can provide meaningful, and indeed legal, input for what is effectively a communication disability.

It doesn't really matter whereabouts this might be - we can move - but preferably in the north. 

Thanks

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @thornintheside - Welcome to the community. I'm sorry I'm unable to help, but hopefully someone else here may be able to offer you appropriate advice soon.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @thornintheside and welcome to the community. Unfortunately this isn't something I know much about, but hopefully someone will be better able to recommend some possible routes for you to take.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Namaa_Alumni
    Namaa_Alumni Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Options
    Hi @thornintheside and welcome to the community. 

You can ask for a meeting with your son's key work to discuss this and find the best way to provide what he needs to live independently. 

It’s your son's key worker's job to help him get the care services to meet his needs.

Please get in touch with your local council and speak to your son's keyworker about your concerns and your son's needs. 
    Find your local council 

Your local authority may not support all your son's needs but they should tell you about other organisations in your area that may be able to provide support and advice. You can also:

If needed, you can also ask for a care needs re-assessment that will take into account your son's new need, we have great advice on preparing for a care needs assessment on our website. 

Care needs assessment 

And if you don't agree with the assessment's outcome, you can challenge it, we have good advice on how to challenge a care needs assessment and outcome on our website. 

Challenging social care needs assessment 

I hope this helps, 

All the Best 

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you @Namaa_Scope for this great advice. :)

A very warm welcome to the community @thornintheside, how are things at the moment?
    Scope

Brightness