Tell us abit about yourself and one interesting fact that others don't know — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tell us abit about yourself and one interesting fact that others don't know

Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
I'm Tammy, I'm a community champion here on the online community. I enjoy working with people and can be a chatter box especially when nervous. I love reading real life crime stories and self help books. One interesting fact is that I have a rare condition. 
I will look forward to hearing from you all ?

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tammyjane33! My interesting fact is that I'm the eldest of 7 siblings. :)
    Scope

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    Despite my username being a big muscle car I drive a little Mini Cooper.
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    66Mustang said:
    Despite my username being a big muscle car I drive a little Mini Cooper.

Have you seen the latest reincarnation of the Ford Mustang?  300 mile range all-electric!

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• 66Mustang
    Yes have seen the news articles about it - a lot of the Mustang purists hate it but I don’t think it looks all that bad. That and a traditional Mustang would make a good 2 car garage in my opinion! You could have the SUV for everyday duties and the noisy sports car for weekend drives!
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    I suppose my interesting fact is that even after surviving polio I was still able to cycle from Lands End to John O'Groats back in the day.  Now I'd be housebound without my Mobility car and scooter as I can't even cross the road on my own.  Sod's Law? 

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    Wow thank you all for sharing things about yourselves, I will enjoy getting to know you all as individuals ❤️
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I once had one of Queen Victoria's petticoats, which had been left to one of her ladies-in-waiting, together with a black edged card describing this. I also had the Duke of Albany's pilchknickers.....whoever he was! as I used to buy & sell linen & lace at one time. Later we had a secondhand & antiquarian bookshop.....so I'm an avid reader too mainly crime fiction, modern English literature, Russian classics, history, psychology & poetry.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I once lived in a haunted flat above a shop. It was way back when I was four in the winter of 2000. 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I used to work for Weight Watchers and Slimming World.
    I lost 7st over 15 months and felt great.

5 years later I`d gained it all back and was in a wheelchair!
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Would you rate one over the other @pollyanna1052?

I struggled to think of any interesting facts, so I'll just go with the fact that I'm half-Italian.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    I had an article (it was a true story) published in The Countryman magazine 7 years ago next month.
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    This is a great thread. Trying to think of something  interesting about myself ?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Hello @Tammyjane33 Mine one is well I am a bit of an entertainer. Love doing jokes, stand up and so it became an issue.

As going through school. The only disabled lad and gent. The bullies made my life hell only way was humour knowledge used helped me to stay alive.

Those days of the 60's and 70's were different then, has much changed ?

At Junior school did shows, as you did then, I had the misfortune of having a Mother who was psychotic.

Did things that were pure evil and destructive to the heart and soul.

Did this show had to recite a poem. My Mother had altered a face mask I had to wear. Made the eye holes another place so could not see approached microphone arms stretched out.

I was 7 years old to shrieks of laughter. Lifting up my mask I saw the microphone did a few cracks jokes. Then went on reciting the poem.

Standing ovation first of many. Went in to the wings my Teacher pushed me out.

Go and get them kid . Forty minutes later the whole place as it was cheering.

As school continued, plays, shows .  I was your warm up man at the start of any shows.

The ways we did to get a laugh make enjoyable, lots of laughter.  Nothing like it ever the sound of happy people.

Curtains opened I am standing there ironing trousers . Back to the audience. Having a chat to the wings.

Just a shirt on and bare legs my black boots and socks.  Bent down to huge amounts of laughter. Had a large pair of boxers on  the seat had written no parking.

Had this line at the start going to do a song where is my stool for me to sit  out it would come. Smash on the stage being tossed out.

Where's my dancing shoes the same thing?

One night that did not happen hang I said your have to stop going to these woodwork classes.

After school did pubs, night clubs and on holiday. When asking for entertainers from the public.

Weddings and so on. 

The really sad  part of all of this . The family never came to anything I ever did.

On holiday walk out.

Highlight for me was asked to do a show at a Holiday camp dire place.. Bob Monkhouse was on the bill. I was a number of us asked to some entertaining.

I came on last, my family walked out and did the gig.

To laughter from behind appeared Bob Monkhouse hugging me wiping away tears of laughter.

All I got from my family was insults, embarrassed the family and much more. My Mother objected to every thing.

At a wedding met a man who does the comedy clubs in the South. My Mother sneering he thinks he funny.

I do not horrible comments.

Till the comedian told her the amount of money he made.

I could see the pound signs in her eyes. As she already stole. abused her ways with extracting money from her children.

Including me.

Went on that night and stole the show, got offered a phone number for an agent but all fell to pieces.

When you live with some one who hates you, gets to use you. Abusive mentally physically.

All dreams disappear.

Addiction and time moved on and only have memories of a time, could have been something.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • sleepingplum
    sleepingplum Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    You have so many happy things as well as heartbreaking and perhaps another place another life things might have been different I to suffer with addiction issues and life has been cruel but I for one are glad the journey brought you here didn’t know what I was doing. I loved the fact you got up on stage in front of all those people and made them laugh hardest job in the world and the late great bob monk house amazing 
  • paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    Can't believe all the similarities I have with my new friends on here!

@pollyanna1052

I also lost 7 stone and have put it all back on again!  :/
    Took two years and I did it by throwing out the frying pan and chip pan, and lots of exercise! 

Btw, congratulations on your PIP news.  :)

@thespiceman

Sadly, I also have a psychotic mother who I split from 20 years ago. 

Here's a few of my examples:

When I was 14, we were on holiday in France and she "set me up" to meet a man in a hotel room! 
    I ran out screaming before he could do anything and she had the audacity to say "he wouldn't have hurt you, he just wanted to look"!!!!!! 

At 15, I was so unhappy at home that I took an overdose and had my stomach pumped. 
    The next day she also took an overdose then chastised me because I hadn't told her how bad the stomach pump was!!! 

When I asked her why she'd done it, she replied "because you did. If you can do it, I can"!!

****??? Please excuse the language. 

Needed years of therapy in my 20's and 30's and splitting from her was one of the best things I ever did! 

So know how you feel spiceman, certainly takes a lot of getting over, if we ever fully can? 

@Adrian_Scope

My favourite country is Italy  :)
    Food, people, culture. Love it. 
    And I'm even learning Italian at the moment  :)

@Tammyjane33

I'm also a chatterbox when I get going  :)

I was told that one of my conditions is rare (autoimmune hepatitis) but don't think it is that rare really? 

@chiarieds

I too love lace. :) Used to always wear lace ribbons in my hair (various colours to match each outfit)  and lace scarves and shawls  :)

@April2018mom

I also had a ghost  :)

When my eldest son was a baby we used to hear rattling in his bedroom. 
    Sounded like he was standing up in the cot, rattling the bars. 
    Every time we went to check he was fast asleep!

Also, there was a warm spot at the foot of his cot which smelt like flowers. 
    This went on for about a year then just stopped! 

Spooky.................  :p

@exdvr

I also used to cycle a lot. 
    But now, yesterday I really struggled just getting into daughter's car!  :/

One of my interesting facts is that I have met some famous people: 

When I was young, (going to concerts)  I touched hands with David Bowie!  :o

Had a conversation with one of The Four Tops and a kiss on the cheek!  (the one with glasses) :o

In my catering work, I met Angela Rippon, Norman Collier, Brian Tilsley (Corrie), Dirty Den (Eastenders),  Les Dennis, Robert Powell.
    Also Joanne Whalley (very young filming on a beach in Rhyl) 

How's that for a bit of name - dropping?  :D:D

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    @pollyanna1052 @paffuto10 i also lost 6st 7Ibs in 1 year, did this through slimming world. 3 years later i'm still keeping off just over 5st. I was told that weight loss would help my pain but that wasn't the only reason i lost the weight. I did discover though that losing the weight didn't help my pain levels in the slightest. Four months after losing the weight my Consultant told me that a true diagnosis of fibromyalgia will not see the symptoms improve through weight loss.

Looking in the mirror is easier now but somehow, i still manage to avoid them at all costs.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pollyanna1052
    paffuto10 said:
    Can't believe all the similarities I have with my new friends on here!

@pollyanna1052

I also lost 7 stone and have put it all back on again!  :/
    Took two years and I did it by throwing out the frying pan and chip pan, and lots of exercise! 

Btw, congratulations on your PIP news.  :)

@thespiceman

Sadly, I also have a psychotic mother who I split from 20 years ago. 

Here's a few of my examples:

When I was 14, we were on holiday in France and she "set me up" to meet a man in a hotel room! 
    I ran out screaming before he could do anything and she had the audacity to say "he wouldn't have hurt you, he just wanted to look"!!!!!! 

At 15, I was so unhappy at home that I took an overdose and had my stomach pumped. 
    The next day she also took an overdose then chastised me because I hadn't told her how bad the stomach pump was!!! 

When I asked her why she'd done it, she replied "because you did. If you can do it, I can"!!

****??? Please excuse the language. 

Needed years of therapy in my 20's and 30's and splitting from her was one of the best things I ever did! 

So know how you feel spiceman, certainly takes a lot of getting over, if we ever fully can? 

@Adrian_Scope

My favourite country is Italy  :)
    Food, people, culture. Love it. 
    And I'm even learning Italian at the moment  :)

@Tammyjane33

I'm also a chatterbox when I get going  :)

I was told that one of my conditions is rare (autoimmune hepatitis) but don't think it is that rare really? 

@chiarieds

I too love lace. :) Used to always wear lace ribbons in my hair (various colours to match each outfit)  and lace scarves and shawls  :)

@April2018mom

I also had a ghost  :)

When my eldest son was a baby we used to hear rattling in his bedroom. 
    Sounded like he was standing up in the cot, rattling the bars. 
    Every time we went to check he was fast asleep!

Also, there was a warm spot at the foot of his cot which smelt like flowers. 
    This went on for about a year then just stopped! 

Spooky.................  :p

@exdvr

I also used to cycle a lot. 
    But now, yesterday I really struggled just getting into daughter's car!  :/

One of my interesting facts is that I have met some famous people: 

When I was young, (going to concerts)  I touched hands with David Bowie!  :o

Had a conversation with one of The Four Tops and a kiss on the cheek!  (the one with glasses) :o

In my catering work, I met Angela Rippon, Norman Collier, Brian Tilsley (Corrie), Dirty Den (Eastenders),  Les Dennis, Robert Powell.
    Also Joanne Whalley (very young filming on a beach in Rhyl) 

How's that for a bit of name - dropping?  :D:D

Hi paffuto, I had to laff out loud when I read your mum was mad at you for not telling her how bad the stomach pump was!
  • pollyanna1052
    @pollyanna1052 @paffuto10 i also lost 6st 7Ibs in 1 year, did this through slimming world. 3 years later i'm still keeping off just over 5st. I was told that weight loss would help my pain but that wasn't the only reason i lost the weight. I did discover though that losing the weight didn't help my pain levels in the slightest. Four months after losing the weight my Consultant told me that a true diagnosis of fibromyalgia will not see the symptoms improve through weight loss.

Looking in the mirror is easier now but somehow, i still manage to avoid them at all costs.
    Hey Pops! I always imagine you as a very petite dark haired girl xx
  • 66Mustang
    Some very interesting posts here! A really good way to get to know more about everyone. :)

Another one for me: I love cars and driving, it’s my biggest passion, have even driven on track, but I can’t reverse park to save my life!!!
  • paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    Same here with the reverse parking :)@66Mustang

Brightness