How do you keep yourself busy (if you are unable to work due to physical illness /mental illness — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do you keep yourself busy (if you are unable to work due to physical illness /mental illness

Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
I'd like to ask the community how you keep yourself busy in the day if you are unable to work. Are there any jobs that people do from home that you could share please ?

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    Watching this with interest as I could do with some ideas myself!!
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I write and blog a lot in my spare time. @Tammyjane33 :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Tammyjane33   Please may I suggest you look on line lots of links on line.

Too many . I typed in working from home jobs lots of companies.

Also consider having a look.

I have this one company called Even break.

https://www.evenbreak.co.uk.

Has vacancies for our community.

Another idea what do you like to do. Hobby wise or interests. Think about setting up your own business around that.

I have done that bought sold collectibles and Antiques .

I also sold electrical and aids, items for those with disabilities or conditions. Mainly small useful gadgets to be useful for every day life.

You mentioned have a rare condition I am truly sorry about that.

Could be inspirational to others use the skills, talents and abilities you have to set something up.

A organisation some support network, might be useful.

In my own circumstances meet members of our community wishing to cook and make some healthy meals. So I used to do cooking friends and others shown them how to create a meal.

From the supermarket to the oven and hob.

Of course asked for a fee to do so. Got recipes listed up and printed.

Did volunteering as well. Something to look at.  I did mine various mental health charities, disability centres, resource centres.

Kitchen usually .

Look at your community volunteer unit ask them how they can help.

Something else useful.

There are companies out there who wish you to review the latest books. Proof reading make a critical comments and anything to say about the book you have been reading.

Before any publication, many publishers do this.

Also mystery shopping on line. Another one useful to think about.  Services another one use the computer to type up letters, correspondence for small business .

That can not afford a secretary. Done through an agency they are used by the business need something typed up.

Had a few friends do that.

Please I hope that helps.

Hope your keeping safe and warm.

Your friend

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    I generally just procrastinate with forums, Instagram or Xbox...but that's a lot of screen time so try to force myself outside for a little while at least every other day, which can be difficult with the cold, wet and windy weather this time of year.  (Sorry, I'm not sure of your conditions so going out may not be appropriate for you!)  

I wish there was a job I could do from home but there doesn't seem to be.  I can't speak on phones (but am more than happy to email or use messenger etc!) so that makes it near impossible to find anything.  Even the Scope recruitment service couldn't help without using phones sadly.  I'm also scared to try any sort of work since being on ESA as I don't really understand what's permitted, but also worry that I might lose it if they deem the job to contradict the reasons I get the ESA in the first place. :s  

I have recently started a YouTube vlog which might be something to consider?  It takes a while before you can earn any money from it since the policies changed, but it does occupy a lot of time!  I just use my smartphone to record and edit so don't need any expensive equipment to start with...although if you really get into it then obviously you could upgrade to more professional kit!  The only problem I've found with it is storage space, I never even considered the huge amount of space that videos take up compared to pictures!  So I delete the original videos as soon as they've been edited and uploaded myself.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    That's interesting @OverlyAnxious! What do you vlog about?
    Scope

• Tammyjane33
    Thankyou all for your fantastic feedback and to all that have suggested different things I will have a look, this has helped alot, thankyou to all again ❤️
  • Tammyjane33
    @OverlyAnxious thankyou for your reply. I totally understand and can relate in regards to benefits. I've always worked with my illness but as I've got older it's become worse and because it's a rare disease there's not an a great deal professionals can do to help they can only help keep the pain under control but it doesn't always work. Vlogging sounds good but I've tried it before but no one seemed interested. Thank you for your suggestions though and if you would ever like to chat feel free to message me. ?
  • Tammyjane33
    @thespiceman thank you for your reply and taking the time to write a long post. I've been in alot of pain recently so that's why I don't reply straight away. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Tammyjane33, I'm sorry to read you've been in a lot of pain. How are you doing today? What sort of things do you like to do to keep busy?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    That's interesting @OverlyAnxious! What do you vlog about?
    I vlog about my own experiences with invisible illnesses at the moment (as a lot of us seem to on here!).  Trying to get PIP this year has forced me to really 'explore' my worsening conditions, what I can and can't do and the reasons why.  But I struggle to verbalise it and don't know anyone in a similar position to converse with so thought recording myself without the added social pressures and embarrassment of a face to face might help!  I wasn't going to upload them anywhere but changed my mind as I'd like to hope they can help younger people to address similar issues long before they get as bad as mine.  On a more selfish note, I'd also like to find someone in a similar position to have a two-way conversation with...there's no bigger platform than YouTube after all and I can be far more honest and real on there than I can on Facebook.  Most of my FB 'friends' don't know about my problems and I'd like to keep it that way! 

As an added bonus, a few of the comments have educated me on some of my own illnesses too, and it has helped me focus more on potential treatment options and where I should start, instead of the whole lot just being an overwhelming mess!

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    That's really interesting @OverlyAnxious! I am sure they will help others and I really do hope others in a similar situation are able to reach out and get in touch. :)
    Scope

Brightness