Good news - I think! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Good news - I think!

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger

After having a re-assessment for PIP, my benefit was recently reduced to the standard rate for daily living and zero for mobility. I submitted a request for a mandatory reconsideration outlining what I disagree with and giving examples, as suggested on here.

Only a month after sending in my request, one of the people who care for me received a phone call from someone from the DWP. They said they had done the mandatory reconsideration and decided to award me the enhanced rate for daily living and the enhanced rate for mobility.

They are also going to backdate this to when I had my re-assessment.

Is it normal to receive a phone call after only a month - I thought it was to take 8 to 10 weeks? I was a little worried that something could be wrong!

Also, how long, roughly, does it take to receive the backdated money?

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

That's brilliant news, especially at MR stage. I'm so glad the advice on here helped!

There's no timescales to any decisions and the time they give you is just a guide. As you can see with your request it was done fairly quickly. Backdated money should be sent the day the decision is made which means you should receive it into your bank in about 3-5 working days, depending on your bank.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks very much, Poppy!
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    That is good news!  Looks like you're one of only ~18% that change at MR! :)
  • Dohbar
    Dohbar Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi - I am new to forum but like the person above have had my PIP award for mobility  reduced even though the report is practically the same ??.  I have just completed the paper work for a mandatory assessment but wondered if there is a guide available to use for the supporting information?  I note you mentioned giving examples?  sorry if I sound stupid.....
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @dohbar - I used the DWP guidelines to give an idea of what was required and then explained what I could/ couldn't do and what I needed help with, whether I was in pain, got tired etc and gave examples of this...

If the link doesn't work search for DWP + PIP + assessment guidelines Part 2.

Mobility is Part 2.4

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria#mobility-activities
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello  @66Mustang   Great news well done. Happy that you have had a successful outcome.

Your friend

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Dohbar
    Thank you Cristobal - It just makes no sense to me.  I had enhanced mobility, this time it was reduced even though nothing has changed with my condition.  I still cant walk 50m even though the assessor obviously  thought I could.    I will check the descriptors against my additional evidence.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Hello @Dohbar   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions.  We guide, advise and help members of our community.

Please can I advise we have a member of our team of community champions.

My friend  @poppy123456 who may be able answer your question clearly.

Has a lot of knowledge on benefits and wish you to have the correct answers.

Have tagged her name so she will be along as soon as possible.

Please if I can also suggest that your CAB local office can help with any appeals or MR.  

They have knowledge and expertise.

Also may I add one other important aspect of PIP and benefits try to get some support and advice, guidance from any one who is supporting you.

If you have a mental  health condition, an illness or a disability . Often a relevant organisation . Happy to give those if you wish to.

I used mental health charities when I had floating support. Came with me to assessments, filled out forms and much needed reassurance.

I have now left so use CAB for form filling in and general advice.

Please can I add your not stupid your just asking a honest question.

Benefit are complex and confusing.

Please ask anything further some one will know.

Wish you well for a successful outcome.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang - Delighted to hear your news- Congratulations :) I got my award increased with a MR too! Doing a happy dance for you.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @dohbar - if you can't walk 50 metres but can walk over 20 metres then you should qualify for 'standard rate' mobility - was this what you got?
  • 66Mustang
    Many thanks for all of the kind replies!
  • Dohbar
    Yes I got standard- my mistake when typing I meant I can’t walk 20 metres 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Amazing news @66Mustang, thank you for letting us know!
    Scope

• Dohbar
    Thank you thespiceman - advice appreciated 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.