Disadvantage — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disadvantage

richy
richy Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited November 2019 in Work and employment
I am struggling to get regular work because of my disability ,I have been working for agency's but keep getting told no work for me I think I am disadvantaged to get a job I am on pip carers so fed up with not getting regular work sent a lot of CV,s to a lot of employers with no joy ,I think my age is against me too I am 61,any advice would be weecome

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,939 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Agency work is always a hit and miss. I know someone that did work for an agency and several times they were told to go to work at a certain time but when they got there, there was no work for them. This person never had an disabilities and they were young.

Have you tried looking on the internet for your area or maybe local shops?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • richy
    Looked in my area outside my area but they see a person who has had four hip replacements on his CV and don't,t give me a job
  • Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    @richy I'm sorry to hear this. I can relate as I've Been in a similar situation and been let go from jobs because I have alot of time off because I have to go in and out of hospital due to my health and can't furfil a contract. Are you able to get in touch with a disability advisor at your local job centre? That's what I did even though it was a few years ago. Hope this helps. 
  • richy
    Looked in my area outside my area but they see a person who has had four hip replacements on his CV and don't,t give me a job
  • richy
    Tammy I been in touch with disability advisor local job centre not much help
  • Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    @richy I'm sorry to hear that. I can always look into what help there is around your area /town /city to try and see if I can find any helpful information if you'd like that. It's totally up to you. 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @richy and welcome to the community.

May I suggest you remove the hip replacements from your CV. Plus anything else in your CV which may be seen as negative. Your CV is your personal advertisement telling any potential employer what you have to bring to the role or company you are applying to. You are not under any obligation to inform any employer at this stage that you have any disabilities.

You may need help on how to present any absences in work, and this is the sort of issue the scope online employment support team could help you with. https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/support-to-work/

When I applied to my current employer I did not include any information on previous paid jobs, and had been out of work for 10 years. I concentrated instead on my voluntary work, which was relevant. It was raised at the interview and I explained that I had not included work as it was not relevant to the role I had applied for and offered to supply the information at the interview. It was a gamble I decided to take but felt it was the way to present myself in the best light.

Good luck and hope you find something soon.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @richy and I'm sorry to hear you are struggling to find work. Have you looked at the employment services that Scope provide? You might find these helpful, and please do let us know how you get on. :) 
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I think geoark`s comments sound really helpful......

I do hope things improve for you.

Brightness