Can I get free tax on my daughters car — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I get free tax on my daughters car

mairead04
mairead04 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited November 2019 in Transport and travel
Hi 
I get the enhanced mobility awarded it a few days ago my daughter is my unpaid carer she takes me to all my appointment and does all my shopping and hers can I out the free tax on her car

Comments

• exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

@mairead04      I found this explanation on the gov.uk website regarding road tax exemption.

The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name.

It must only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. It cannot be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.

Unfortunately I don't think that this is the answer you were hoping for.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    The last post has answered your question but you can apply for a blue badge and as an enhanced mobility award you automatically get one cost £10 apply via local county council. My car is only low rate so paid the tax instead of applying for exsemption so my daughter's can use my car without any worries or concerns
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

To automatically qualify for a blue badge will depend on where you scored the points for Enhanced mobility, if you scored them for the moving around part then yes, this will qualify you.

If you scored them for the following and planning a journey part then with the new rules scoring 12 points in this activity doesn't automatically qualify you. It will depend on your conditions and you'll need to take a look at your local councils criteria. New BB rules here. https://www.contact.org.uk/news-and-blogs/new-blue-badge-rules-in-england-to-come-into-force-on-30-august/

For the road tax then if your daughter did use your mobility award then she wouldn't be able to use her car for her own purposes. This is the very reason my eldest daughter doesn't use my youngest daughter's mobility award for her tax because she needs her car for herself, even though she takes her sister out regularly.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mairead04, I hope others have been able to answer your question, but please do let me know if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

Brightness