What did a parent say to you when you were young — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What did a parent say to you when you were young

Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
My mum used to say "if you don't have nothing nice to say then don't say nothing" 

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    My mom said to me several years ago when I was 11 "Help me to help you". 
  • Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    One I remember from my mum. "Treat others how you would like them to treat you".
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    These all sound very familiar! I can't think of any one saying in particular but looking forward to seeing what others come up with. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • mrbuttons
    mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
    many was the time that my mum said "you'll thank me later" often when she was being really mean and strict.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    "stop crying or i'll give you something to cry about" :)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger
    "your'e not going out looking like that" but i did  :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    My Mum taught me a valuable lesson about worms.
    Aged probably either 3 or 4, I was 'helping' my Mum in the garden, & as she was turning the soil over I saw an earthworm. I said, 'Mummy, Mummy, put it back, it's got no clothes on.' Apparently worms don't wear clothes!  :( My Mum used to love re-telling this.
    I also made up a saying for my own children, 'Be kind & true to all creatures......except flies.'
  • Tammyjane33
    These are brilliant.
    My dad always said that line @vikingqueen ?
  • Tammyjane33
    @chiarieds I've never heard that one before lol, but I have now ?
  • Tammyjane33
    @woodbine haha yes definitely heard that line before ?
  • Tammyjane33
    @Franstrahan this is an important one and I still try to do this now as an adult ?
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger
    @Tammyjane33 it was my mum that said it to me, my dad was always on my side  :smile:
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    The one that sticks in my mind was when my father told me he would have more respect for me if I mugged old women.

Not that I was much better, my favourite one was 'if you don't behave I'm sending you back to the orphanage.' She went straight to mum to ask if she came from an orphanage, which upset mum but I could not stop laughing from daughters response 'Damn I knew the fat B****d was lying'. I do feel sorry for mum though as she is very much like me.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    "We must always tell the truth"  *I go around offending everyone for the next week*  :D  "Err...so sometimes it's ok to lie"  *I go around making up utter rubbish for a week* ;)

"You must never allow anyone to look at your private parts no matter what they say" *I categorically refuse to allow the Doctor to look, even with my Mum in the room saying it's ok* :D 

I never did get the hang of all the social contradictions...it's really all or nothing, can't be dealing with rules that only apply in some situations lol.

I guess the best phrase I remember was actually when I was quite a bit older, but certainly not much wiser.  Around the age of 11 my Dad had to sign a consent form for a sex ed class...  All he said was "You must always wear a c*ndom" with no other context...  I didn't know what they were or how they were used...genuinely thought it was some sort of permanent accessory I'd have to use after a certain age with the way he worded it! :D  That class didn't help either, it was just about keeping your face clean!  It wasn't until several years later I realised what they were...and that it was very unlikely I'd ever need one considering I struggle with handshakes, let alone touching anything else!! :p
  • Bettahm
    "We must always tell the truth"  *I go around offending everyone for the next week*  :D  "Err...so sometimes it's ok to lie"  *I go around making up utter rubbish for a week* ;)

"You must never allow anyone to look at your private parts no matter what they say" *I categorically refuse to allow the Doctor to look, even with my Mum in the room saying it's ok* :D 

I never did get the hang of all the social contradictions...it's really all or nothing, can't be dealing with rules that only apply in some situations lol.

I guess the best phrase I remember was actually when I was quite a bit older, but certainly not much wiser.  Around the age of 11 my Dad had to sign a consent form for a sex ed class...  All he said was "You must always wear a c*ndom" with no other context...  I didn't know what they were or how they were used...genuinely thought it was some sort of permanent accessory I'd have to use after a certain age with the way he worded it! :D  That class didn't help either, it was just about keeping your face clean!  It wasn't until several years later I realised what they were...and that it was very unlikely I'd ever need one considering I struggle with handshakes, let alone touching anything else!! :p
    OverlyAnxious:
    We have that in common. I am a 'dont touch' person. Kind of kept quiet about that all my life, and avoided situations. Now I think - not absolutely sure - but I think its linked to the ASD. So I've come out of the closet. As in "no I dont, I never have, the thought if it makes me feel sick, and I dont want a hug either!" 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    When I asked mum what was for tea, sometimes she would answer `Bread and pull it`......never found out was `pull it` was!
    She was also fond of saying `que sera sera`.....that`s true!

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    @pollyanna1052 origin of 'pull it' is disputed. Either just bread and you pull a piece off, or is a misunderstanding the word poulet meaning bread and chicken.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• mrbuttons
    mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
    I used to love playing hopscotch when we would walk to the shops on the flagstoned pavements. my mum used to get annoyed and say. " how many times do I have to tell you to stop? don't come crying to me when you fall over and break your leg."
     that's some crazy mum logic, right there. :|
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger

OverlyAnxious:
    We have that in common. I am a 'dont touch' person. Kind of kept quiet about that all my life, and avoided situations. Now I think - not absolutely sure - but I think its linked to the ASD. So I've come out of the closet. As in "no I dont, I never have, the thought if it makes me feel sick, and I dont want a hug either!" 
    I wonder how many others there are like us...as you say, it's not something to shout about generally.

I still don't really believe people actually do...despite knowing that obviously none of us would be here if they didn't!  :D   

Being the only male at the end of the bloodline I'm expected to carry it on by older relatives as well.  I don't hear from them often, but when I do, I always hear about how there's someone for everyone and I'll find a nice girl eventually...  :#  Obviously I don't want to ruin their hopes with the reality!

I do have contamination OCD and can't deal with my own body and bodily fluids, let alone anyone elses, but there's definitely more to it than that. I'm pretty sure I'm on the spectrum myself which would help explain it.  Still in the process of trying to get a referral for an ASD diagnosis currently...

I don't know if you've ever seen Naked Attraction?  I started watching it once as a bit of exposure therapy (pun intended!) and it made me so nauseous I had to switch it off! 

• Bettahm
    @OverlyAnxious
    It became obvious in my teens at high school when girls were all chasing after the boys and the Bay City Rollers and Starsky & Hutch etc. I wasnt interested one little bit. Luckily I was a fat kid so no boy hit on me or anything plus the autism was there as I didnt fit in in general, to the extent they got the school psychologist in to check me out. It got missed, and i got suspended from school for being unruly, which was great! 
    Never wanted kids, dont like kids, and dont go all gaga over babies like most women do. Avoid kids and babies. Has lead to me being called a lesbìan more than once. 
    I lived with a male friend for a while after my parents died which turned out to be a good cover coz right up till this year I've referred to him as my ex. Nothing happened obviously, literally, just friends. We fell out as I'm impossible to live with. Years back now.
    I mentioned this lack of attraction to, well, anybody really on my AQ50 forms (autism diagnosis). So it appears to be linked to autism though everybody on the spectrum is different, I guess they might categorize it under social interaction problems - but not sure.
    Good to find out I'm not the only one in the world, theres at least two of us, almost certainly more.
    At least as most people seem quite happy with this activity we wont die out as a species!
    Good luck with the diagnosis, my GP referred me but he had to be prompted by my depression and anxiety counsellor. She was the one who picked up on it. But they cant refer direct, has to be your GP.

Brightness