Footwear for splints — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Footwear for splints

Options
SianOg
SianOg Community member Posts: 11 Connected
Hi all

I am looking for some advice/experience. My 2 year old daughter with PVL and diplegic CP has recently been given splints to try. We are very keen to try them HOWEVER are really struggling with finding suitable footwear that the splints actually fit in! We have tried lots of different styles and sizes but none actually fit. She is a size 4.5 without splints and we were trying a size 7.5 on which still didn't fit. Having spoke  to our physio and orthotist they have said it just has to be a 'normal' shoe/trainer. I am just wondering whether anyone could share any experience with this? Any Footwear which they currently use with splints? Help will be much appreciated. TIA. Sian 

Comments

• Kate_Scope
    Kate_Scope Scope Posts: 74 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Sian, we used velcro trainers and took the sole of the trainer out so it had more depth, I always took her splints when trying on shoes as it can be a nightmare to get the ones to fit. School shoes used to be a bit of an issue but we always used black trainers for her. 

There is a website that you can get adapted shoes for splints, I have never used them myself but I know others who have. 

https://billyfootwear.com/
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hello @SianOg

We have the same issue. Several months ago, I took him into the local shoe store to try out children's shoes but none were appropriate for him unfortunately. My son's orthopedic doctor recommended this website when I mentioned the problem one day during a appointment. 

https://www.orthoticshop.com
  • SianOg
    Options
    Thank you @Kate_Scope and @April2018mom. Will definitely be looking on these websites and shoe shopping this weekend! Fingers crossed we find something. Thanks again x
  • April2018mom
    Options
    No problem! Good luck, shoe shopping can be a hard task. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @SianOg,

I have worn AFO splints for most of my life so can certainly relate to 'joys' of shoe shopping. I have always needed one or two sizes bigger than my shoe size.

Like @Kate_Scope said, taking the sole of the shoe out can really help make more room. I also found that boys shoes were easier as they sometimes has shoes that open up more, are more sturdy and can be wider.

I hope this helps and please do keep us updated on your shoe hunt!
    Scope

• SianOg
    Options
    Thank you for all of uou comments. We found success in Marks and Spencer and found Georgia some pretty cool trainers that fit perfectly! Now to start getting Georgia used to the feeling of wearing splints. She's doing amazingly well so far. ?
  • April2018mom
    Options
    SianOg said:
    Thank you for all of uou comments. We found success in Marks and Spencer and found Georgia some pretty cool trainers that fit perfectly! Now to start getting Georgia used to the feeling of wearing splints. She's doing amazingly well so far. ?
    Brilliant news @SianOg
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    Hi @SianOg, that's great news! I am so glad you were able to find something.
    It can take a while to get used to wearing splints, especially if it alters your way of walking a lot. It sounds like she is doing amazing, please do keep us updated. :)
    Scope

• Hills41
    Hills41 Community member Posts: 14 Courageous
    Options
    I work in Clarks and we can usually find shoes or trainers to fit with our trained fitters knowledge with splints. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this @Hills41, I have found shoes in the past at Clarks.
    Scope

• daniellelinleyx
    daniellelinleyx Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    Options
    Hi @SianOg - my little girl wears splints, she’s 4 and has wore them since she was 2. I’ve always found it extremely hard to find shoes that fit over the top of the splints, I always have to go a few sizes too big, and take the insoles out.
    I’ve found the best style / design are high top Velcro trainers, H&M do a really good pair and fairly priced too. I have got every design in them, as they’re the best shoes I’ve found to date for my little girl. 
    I have attached the link for you, hope you’ve found a solution. It is tricky! 
  • SianOg
    Options
    Thank you for your comment @daniellelinleyx
    We have these boots already. Great minds! We have bought the next 2 sizes also. Love H and M.
    Thanks again ?

Brightness