Help with DLA to PIP - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with DLA to PIP

124»

Comments

• Tonypiano777
    Tonypiano777 Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Hello again all. I’ve been off it for a while with severe balance problems, so needed to take some time out especially from “screen glare” as my balance is becoming progressively worse.  

Ive  received  an ESA form today (ESA50) for my BROTHER who’s in nursing home, (i care for him) and is severely mentally handicapped with epileptic seizures and now (since my last post in July) is on OXYGEN after a 18 day emergency admission to the hospital in the respiratory section (high dependency Unit i think it was called). 

Anyway, he’s now back in  the nursing home and is ALREADY ON ESA, but received a letter today from the Health Assessment Advisory Service.  Got till 27th November to fill it in. 

Since my brother had been in the nursing home 2.5 years, I’m wondering if it would be better for the nursing home to fill the form in?, as his medication, needs, condition etc are now monitored 24/7 by the nursing home, so I’m not sure how to go on in filling this form in. For example, walking/getting around, movement/incontinence  etc are different - as he now sits in a chair half the day - then bedrest for the rest - and with the oxygen mask on(this is at bedrest 2-5 pm, and bedtime).  

Also, if i may add, I too am on ESA as well (contribution based) and I've had a look at the form and wondering if ill get one of these? And, as I’m now on PIP (lowest rate £23.20) I’m wondering what procedure to take? (“Planning and following a journey “ was my award for pip). Maybe follow a similar route as i did on my PIP form?

(I’m still in the process of waiting for a mandatory reconsideration for my PIP too)!

Thank you all 

@Tonypiano777
  • Tonypiano777
    ilovecats said:
    Send in a copy of his care plan, that will speak volumes 
    Hi 

well, i think they’ve got there own care plans now, as mine would be outdated (seizure charts etc). Thanks,  and will mention care plan when i take it to the home on Friday when we go to see him.  

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,320 Disability Gamechanger
    It will be their care plans you would need to send and not your own.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tonypiano777, sounds like you have a lot of forms on the go! I would advise getting his post up to date care plan to send in and make the nursing home aware of the form.
    Scope

• Tonypiano777
    edited October 2019
    Thank @Chloe_Scope ☝️

Yes, the nursing home aren’t that “form-friendly” so don’t want them to have it forever.  :smile:  the care plan (current) has to be at the nursing home now, as he’s highly dependent on them - and not me, and whatever i put on the form, may have changed (his medication for example - as he’s now on epilepsy ”rescue remedy” to make sure he comes out of a seizure). So ill show them the form on Friday when we visit him, and hope they oblige and play ⚽️ with me!  after all, its the ESA thats paying for the nursing home - plus other benefits. 

?
  • Chloe_Scope
    I hope so @Tonypiano777! If you could ring up before your visit and ask for a copy of his care plan, this would be great evidence to have. Fingers crossed and please let us know how it goes!
    Scope

• Tonypiano777
    Hello ,

Sorry didn’t reply to post @Username_removed as no mail alerts (for some reason). 

Anyways, the nursing home have filled the form in and sent it back to me this morning. They’ve done what  Ive asked them to do, and that is; fill the sections in that i can’t  (oxygen times/seizure charts/medication sheets and so forth) ive had a look over it and looks ok.  Hope it goes on ok.  Thank you. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    I'm glad you managed to get this done @Tonypiano777! I hope it all helps. :)
    Scope

• Tonypiano777
    I'm glad you managed to get this done @Tonypiano777! I hope it all helps. :)
    Thanks ever-so Chloe !  I had to add a few bits here and there and “extra information” I already told the care home to fill in what they can and I will “fill-in” the blanks :smile:

• Chloe_Scope
  • Tonypiano777
    Hello all.  

I hope you are keeping well in these challenging times. 

Just to let you know that the PIP form  for my brother went fine. And I am now on pip myself, but after a mandatory reconsideration, I had to remain on the lower rate.   Quite disappointed really, as 10 points for “getting out” - which I can’t - should really be 12 points. Maybe they have their thoughts and ways, or that it was best for them, to keep me off the higher rate (that thoughts been reoccurring). 

Thanks for all the help you’ve e given my. Much appreciated. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.