recurrent pneumonia for years, doctors can't explain it — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

recurrent pneumonia for years, doctors can't explain it

Options
ladybug_229
ladybug_229 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, I'm posting here because I figure it can't hurt.  B)

I'm in my 30s, female, and pretty much healthy except for this recurring problem. When I was 7 I got pneumonia for the first time, and ever since then I get sick several times a year. As a kid and young adult we didn't have health insurance, so I rarely got an x-ray diagnosis of pneumonia—usually they'd just give me antibiotics and send me away. Now as an adult I finally have good health insurance and am seeing the same doctor regularly. I've just been diagnosed with pneumonia for the 3rd time this year, the 6th time in 2 years, confirmed with an x-ray. Each time I need antibiotics, sometimes two rounds of antibiotics, to clear it. 

- In the past year I've had 2 lung CTs while healthy, all normal.
- I've done tests for asthma, and they came back negative.
- I just had a cardiac MRI which showed mild pericarditis, but like I said I have pneumonia so, shrug.
- I had an upper GI scope recently which showed a small hernia in my esophagus, but it's not seriously enough to cause sufficient aspiration to give me pneumonia every 4 months like this. Also, I frequently cough until I vomit, so I think it's more likely that 30 years of regular pneumonia have caused the hernia.
- I've been tested for allergies and celiac, I have none. 
- Bloodwork for standard auto-immune and immune deficiency conditions is all negative.

I'm sick of being sick, but there seems to be nothing to do about it. Open to any ideas or suggestions. Thanks!

Comments

• ladybug_229
    ladybug_229 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    *Oh, and I don't smoke or use drugs.  ;)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @ladybug_229 and a very warm welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear you have been unwell and it must be so frustrating to not have answers. Unfortunately, we are not medically trained and therefore cannot give out medical information about a potential diagnosis.

I appreciate that this isn't very helpful. However, we are a community of like-minded people who understand what it is like to have a disability. It is through this understanding that we can advice and support each other.
    Scope

Brightness