How do I get an advocate? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do I get an advocate?

Sara35
Sara35 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
How do i get an advocate to help me stand up for my rights. I'm physically disabled and I also have anxiety and depression. Having these conditions makes it sound hard to put my point across and maybe it all comes out wrong. I would appreciate it if anyone has any advice thank u

Comments

• Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    @Sara35 hi have you tried writing to your local mp. I contacted mine when I was refused certain benefits. They can't change the outcome but can help you with a response and give you support and there is also citizens advice. If you need anymore support just send me a message. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

May i ask what rights you are fighting for? Is it a benefit claim? If so then which benefit? Or is it something different?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sara35
    It is to do with famliy court. My ex and social services are very judgemental of my mental health. Possibly when the next court date I have having an advocate to help would be great thank u
  • poppy123456
    You would most likely need a solicitor for this, whether you would get legal aid for this will depend on your case. If legal aid isn't available then it will cost you to have a solicitor. This link may help you. https://www.gov.uk/legal-aid/eligibility

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sara35 and a very warm welcome to the community, how are you getting on?
    Scope

• Sara35
    Good thank u. I don't seem to have any answers about getting an advocate to support me about my mental and psychical heath possible to come to court with me if I have to go back to court thank u
  • poppy123456
    Sara35 said:
    Good thank u. I don't seem to have any answers about getting an advocate to support me about my mental and psychical heath possible to come to court with me if I have to go back to court thank u
    If it's not a benefit issue then representation may not be free, i'm afraid. As stated in a previous comment, it will depend on the what it's for. Please see the link i posted about legal aid.
  • Sara35
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope @poppy123456 has been able to help @Sara35.

Here is the link again: https://www.gov.uk/legal-aid/eligibility
    Scope

• Sara35
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Sara35   Pleased to meet you. Thank you for your post.  
    Please may I suggest the following organisation.
    Called RETHINK
    https://www.rethink.org.
    Please if I can explain this is what they do. Represent you speak on your behalf at any meetings with medical professional or NHS services. 
    Those members of our community with mental health issues.
    Please have a look a the website.
    I would ask if this they do, not sure.
    You can ask help you with court representation..
    Or signpost you to relevant organisations.
    One other organisations two more have used, this first one large mental health charity have a lot to offer.
    https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.
    https://www.mind.org.uk.
    Might not be in your areas  again sorry about this.
    Please if you need to ask anything further be happy to help. 
    I am one of the team of community champions. Please can I wish you the best and please keep in touch if I can be supportive.
    I used RETHINK a lot one final point good staff and team.
    Pleasure to meet you.
    @thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Sara35
    Thank you so very much for all your information 

Brightness