Disabled facilities grant — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled facilities grant

pcavaney
pcavaney Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I understood that disabled facilities grants were a government mandated fund yet I am being blocked from getting one because in Gwent the approval of an occupational therapist is needed and and she does not think I need a ramp to get down a step I am a wheelchair user. Where do I stand in contesting this ?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Yes an Occupational Therapist will need to assess you for your needs before they will agree to the grant. Any decision can be challenged by first requesting the Mandatory Reconsideration and you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request this.

May i ask why the OT said you don't need the ramp, are you able to walk at all? is the step going into your house? if so do you use your wheelchair inside your home?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pcavaney
    pcavaney Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I can stand with support but not walk. The ot says that since I can go out of the front door and all the way round the house to get to the garden then I don't 'need' the ramp. It's not just this issue, I have had NO help except a handrail I can no longer use and an aluminium ramp at the front door which is lethal when it's frosty. I use a chair always.
  • poppy123456
    That's disgusting!! I would definitely challenge that decision.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Sounds like you definitely need to appeal the decision @pcavaney. If after the appeal you're still not happy, you can make a complaint to your Local Government Ombudsman.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Bellas
    Bellas Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Can I get help to get a new cooker as mine has broken down yesterday
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2019
    Bellas said:
    Can I get help to get a new cooker as mine has broken down yesterday
    Hi and welcome,

The disabled facilities grant, which i what this thread is about is for help with the cost of adaptions to your home, if you have a disability. This grant won't help to pay for a new cooker, unfortunately.

For help to buy a new cooker, it will depend on your circumstances. Do you claim any means tested benefits? if so which ones and how long have you been claiming them?
  • Bellas
    Bellas Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Yes I do get housing benefit and council tax a about 20 years
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2019
    Bellas said:
    Yes I do get housing benefit and council tax a about 20 years
    Unfortunately those 2 benefits do not qualify you for a loan for help with a cooker. Do you claim any other benefits like ESA, JSA or income support? If so then a budgeting loan can be claimed, it needs to be repaid back from future payments and can take at least a month but i've head backlogs for these are huge at them moment so it may not be possible to receive any payment before Christmas. https://www.gov.uk/budgeting-help-benefits

Otherwise, free cycle, facebook or gumtree free sites maybe a place to look. Also lots of people sell 2nd hand cookers quite cheap. Do have a look at your local area.

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Just be mindful that it is illegal to sell 2nd hand GAS cookers. Electric will be ok. But always get a professional to check and fit them.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Bellas but sorry to hear about your cooker! That must be such a nightmare! Have you had any progress?
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.