UC benefit cap — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC benefit cap

sarahxp100
sarahxp100 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi, Ive just been awarded lcwra me and my partner have been affected by the bebefit cap since our UC claim from May iam just wondering that now i have been awarded lcwra will they back date the benefit cap money as ive had doctors notes from the start of my claim

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Great news on the LCWRA. You will receive the extra money from the 4th full assessment period starting from when you sent in your first fit note. Any further money owed should also be backdated to the same time the LCWRA is paid from.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sarahxp100
    Thanks for answering will i also get the money back dated from the benefit cap they have been t\aking off us since our claimed started in may do you know?
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. No, i'm afraid you won't  receive it backdated to May because of the 3 month waiting period.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • fatherinpain
    fatherinpain Community member Posts: 177 Courageous
    edited November 2019
    @poppy123456 Just a thought about the cap we are not capped because of pip should that be back dated till start of pip
  • poppy123456
    @poppy123456 Just a thought about the cap we are not capped because of pip should that be back dated till start of pip
    No because If you're not affected by the benefit cap then there's nothing to backdate.
  • fatherinpain
    edited November 2019
    we started receiving non capped money after pip decision was made which was nearly 5 months after start of claim. So the question would be in those 5 previous months from start of pip claim should uc have been capped or is there backdated payment to be claimed
  • poppy123456
    we started receiving non capped money after pip decision was made which was nearly 5 months after start of claim. So the question would be in those 5 previous months from start of pip claim should uc have been capped or is there backdated payment to be claimed
    Any money owed should have been backdated. https://www.gov.uk/benefit-cap

• fatherinpain
    Interesting ? 
  • sarahxp100
    i was just wondering if now i hae been awarded LCWRA would the money they have taken off us for benefit cap because we claim for 3 kids aswell would that be backdated
  • poppy123456
    i was just wondering if now i hae been awarded LCWRA would the money they have taken off us for benefit cap because we claim for 3 kids aswell would that be backdated
    As i previously advised, it will only be backdated from the start of the LCWRA award, It won't be backdated before that because of the 3 month waiting period. Even though you have now been awarded LCWRA the 3 month waiting period still applies and during that time you didn't have LCWRA, which will mean the benefit cap applied to you during that time.
  • sarahxp100
    thanks, my first sick note was from 16th of may and i was awarded lcwra on 20th november so they might owe me a bit, sorry for all the questions its the first time ive claimed anykind of benefit it all gets very confusing
  • poppy123456
    No problem. Potentially you'll be owed 2 months of LCWRA element which is £336 per month plus the benefit cap difference but it will depend on when your assessment period is.

I note that you have 3 children, if one of them was born after April 2017 then you won't receive any money for this child.
  • sarahxp100
    my assesment period runs from 29th oct to 28th nov and all my kids were born before the date you stated, thanks again for your input it makes sense now
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Really glad @poppy123456 was able to help you here @sarahxp100. How are you doing? :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.