Can he claim Carers Allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can he claim Carers Allowance?

Options
sandrajoy
sandrajoy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I receive the highest rate DLA,I am disabled and can not walk at all unaided.I care for my son who receives ESA and has never worked at all.He's got mental illness and lives with me.I now need more care  like I can no longer can not get out to shop at all.Can he claim Carers Allowance?

Comments

• Connie00
    Connie00 Community member Posts: 252 Pioneering
    Options

My Name is Connie00

I am one off the community Champion’s here at Scope.  it’s really nice to meet you.

A very warm welcome to the Community. Thank you for reaching out to us, , We are always here to lend support, help, and advise where we can, I'm not an expert on this subject, so I have added some links that maybe useful, if your Son is in receipt of ESA this might be affected.

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/carers-allowance-ca/

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance

If we can be of any assistance to you please don’t hesitate to contact us

@connie00   :) 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,033 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

Just to give you some more information along side the links that @Connie00 has posted above.

You say you receive the highest DLA but you don't say which part. For your son to be able to claim carers allowance for looking after you then you need to be claiming either mid/high rate care DLA.

If another person claims carers allowance for looking after you then he won't be able to claim it.

May i just ask of your son is claiming PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care?
    Do you claim any other benefits besides DLA and does anyone else live with you, or is it just the 2 of you?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @sandrajoy and a warm welcome to the community. Is there anything else we can do to help?
    Scope

• sandrajoy
    sandrajoy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I receive higher rate Mobility for help in getting around.
    I receive that and my state pension less the £33 pension credit I lost when Jonjo lost his claim for DLA.He was awarded it for    "indefinitely" but lost it wen a woman in Barnsley said he was ok.
    He receives contribution based things in his ESA  Chloe.
    I can not now get around and do things without help from Jonjo;he lives here with me and I am his appointee as he has learning difficulties I really hope you ca help me with this
    Thank you,
    Sandra.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,033 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you just receive the mobility part of DLA then your son won't be able to claim carers allowance for looking after you because you need to be claiming mid/high rate care DLA. Please see the link that connie posted above about carers allowance.

I'm assuming that your son was transferring from DLA to PIP and the PIP was refused, is that correct? If so then has he requested the mandatory reconsideration (MR) for the PIP decision? if not, then when was the decision made on that claim?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.