ESA Repeat Assessments? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Repeat Assessments?

tcellmutation
tcellmutation Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
Please forgive me if this had already has it’s own discussion.

I was “awarded” PIP 10 Year Award back in April of this year. I am also receiving ESA (income based) I am in the support group. There is no way I’d be able to do any form of work due to my disabilities.

I haven’t been for an ESA assessment since I got sick back in 2014. Does my ESA have an end date?

I’ve read that the current status of my claim is more than likely ongoing. I have also read the in some cases that claimants with severe disabilities will no long have any ESA assessments although I’ve also read that the claimant would be informed about this which I haven’t been.

Given that my PIP award is the highest you can receive, does this automatically make me exempt for further / future ESA assessments?

Thanks

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, yes as your medical conditions and disabilities will allow you to remain in the support group, when you where awarded the support group status the award letter would have stated an end date. If this has passed Id expect that you have had paper based assessment and received continued award notification letter and may be haven't realised it. If you are worried or concerned ring DWP having your personal details to hand NI number ect and ask for information regarding your status to the ESA support group. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,353 Disability Gamechanger
    @wilko your advice is not correct, sorry.

@tcellmutation all ESA support group awards are ongoing they do not have end dates. ESA awards letters never have review dates or timescales, this is because you can be reassessed anytime from 3 months. As you haven't been re-assessed since 2014 then you've been very lucky.

I'm afraid your PIP award will have no relevance on your ESA award because they are 2 completely different, with completely different criteria and people claim PIP and work.

The severe conditions group started in September 2017 and as you haven't been assessed since 2014 then you would not have been placed into this group. You will need to have been re-assessed to be placed into this group, after the re-assessment once a decision's been made it will state on the decision letter if no further re-assessments are needed. See link.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tcellmutation
    edited November 2019
    Thanks for replies.

Just so I’m completely clear on this...

Even though I’m disabled with the highest PIP award you can get, ESA can call me in for an appointment?

Even tho they are completely separate this sounds ludicrous. Based on all the upheaval regarding all these unnecessary PIP reassessments for those with the highest PIP award...

Imagine if any newspapers got wind of that story!

I can understand if my reassessment was just paper based but... heads gone! 

• poppy123456
    Yes, even though you have the highest PIP award i'm afraid they are 2 completely different benefits with completely different criteria and won't stop a work capability assessment.

You can be re-assessed anytime from 3 months. As you haven't been assessed since 2014 then you're very lucky. If you are sent another work capability assessment form sometime in the future then you will need to fill it out with all your information about how your conditions affect you and send relevant evidence to support your claim. Expect a face to face assessment because most people have them, even when they have a PIP award.

Newspapers most likely already know because it's nothing new.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • tcellmutation
    Sorry @poppy123456 you’ve already answered my question it’s just frustrating.

I am thinking about moving house. If ESA gets sorted out will I need to go through the PIP and ESA assessments again or provide a tom of paperwork or anything of the sort?
  • poppy123456
    No worries. I know exactly how frustrating these assessments are because i claim both ESA and PIP myself.

Moving house, the answer to your question will depend on your circumstances but more information is needed to be able to help you further.

Do you claim housing benefit? If so then are you moving to a different local council? If so are you claiming a severe disability premium because you're living alone or classed as living alone and no one claims carers allowance for looking after you?

• tcellmutation
    edited November 2019
    Soon after I got sick I was due a ESA reassessment. I went to one of their centres and it just so happened that my auntie was working there and she was the next available advisor to see.

She said she’ll sort out my ESA and not to worry about it and I’m pretty sure she told me I won’t need to keep going for assessments.

I am pretty sure this is why I have not been reassessed. Phoning them to inquire could rock the boat.
  • tcellmutation
    edited November 2019
    No worries. I know exactly how frustrating these assessments are because i claim both ESA and PIP myself.

Moving house, the answer to your question will depend on your circumstances but more information is needed to be able to help you further.

Do you claim housing benefit? If so then are you moving to a different local council? If so are you claiming a severe disability premium because you're living alone or classed as living alone and no one claims carers allowance for looking after you?

Good question on the different local council. I am currently living alone and claiming the severe disability premium and housing benefit.

I’ll give all this some proper thought.
  • poppy123456
    Are you saying you were assessed by your Auntie? :o

As you're claiming the SDP then moving house whether it's a different local council or not will just be a change of address and you will be able to re-apply for housing benefit because those currently claiming SDP are excluded from claiming Universal Credit until at least January 2021.
  • poppy123456
    The severe conditions rule weren't introduced until 2017 and wouldn't have existed in 2014. The only possible reason why you haven't been re-assessed since then is because you've been very lucky. You won't be the only person to have "fallen through the net" so to speak.

They'll most likely catch up with everyone at some point. I always find that the form comes through the door when you least expect it and as it's a white envelope not brown, it's even more of a surprise when you open it.
  • tcellmutation
    edited November 2019
    Are you saying you were assessed by your Auntie? :o

As you're claiming the SDP then moving house whether it's a different local council or not will just be a change of address and you will be able to re-apply for housing benefit because those currently claiming SDP are excluded from claiming Universal Credit until at least January 2021.

It was like a job centre, interview kinda thing. No physical examination. She just said something about not having to keep reapplying for ESA. Could be wrong. I’ll rock the boat tomorrow and give them a call.
  • tcellmutation
    Thought I’d give them a call. July 20th 2020 is my next ESA assessment. I feel much better now that I know.
  • poppy123456
    That will just be guide and nothing more and this is the very reason why i never ring to ask what timescales because it makes no difference.
  • tcellmutation
    edited November 2019
    https://www.chdauk.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance-esa
    99.9% sure I’ll get a paper based review just like I was with the PIP 10 year award. Everyone thought I’d be wrong ?
    The thing is my condition is so rare, my neurologists have had board meetings about my specific case. It’s a very acute condition with how it effects me on a day to day basis. That’s just 1/5 of my autoimmune conditions. 
    The 0.01% chance of getting a f2f is just an annoyance rather than a worry.
    If an experienced healthcare professional actually does look at my submitted paperwork it’d be an instant paper based review.
    Watch the movie “Brain On Fire”
    https://youtu.be/VZn6G0M9wNs
    This is what I have. My neurologist Reminds me every time I see him ?
    Meds keep it suppressed somewhat but trying to get funding for a new drug because he says he does not want to leave me this way. He draws diagrams for me whilst at my appointments. Diagrams of my brain and how he thinks things are changing slightly as new things happen to me every so often and it stays with me, it does not go away. He wants to get funding ASAP to stop anything from killing me!
    Haven't seen or spoken to my family in 2 months because I could feel my personality changing and didn’t want them to see it. They are upset but i am feeling more myself the last few days.
    I take 27 pills each day. These have to taken before meals, after meal, before bed...etc...(living or surviving) ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.