Depression — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Depression

flosie
flosie Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi I'm a 73yr old grandmother and it's my first Time posting

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @flosie and welcome to the community! Would you like to ask us anything? We will do our best to help you :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @flosie - Welcome from me too. Thank you for joining this lovely, friendly, supportive group. I can only echo what Ami has said. If you have any questions, please ask . We all do our best to help & support each other here. I'm a Grandma too, with 3 lovely granddaughters.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Another welcome from me a grandad with 2 great grandkids, but expensive at this time of year.
    Anything we can help with?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• flosie
    I have lost the will to live and am trying hard to fight off these suicidal thoughts everything is falling  to pieces I feel like the walls are closing in 
  • chiarieds
    Dear @flosie - Will ask for some help for you. @thespiceman, please may you help here, thank you.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    flosie said:
    I have lost the will to live and am trying hard to fight off these suicidal thoughts everything is falling  to pieces I feel like the walls are closing in 
    you can contact the samaritans 24 hours a day 116 123 is the number
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @flosie   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for my friend @chiarieds mentioning me.

I am one of the team of community champions.

We support, advise and help members of our community.

Sorry to hear what your gong through right now. I have mental health issues my self.

Anxiety and depression.

I know the struggles.

Please can I advise speak to some one there are trained professionals who can listen to you.

I know you feel maybe not to but I do speak to them myself.  Nothing to be frightened off. This forum is here for you we are compassionate, ready to be supportive.

If you having thoughts of self harm or suicide . It is important to discuss them with some one who is qualified to help.

The Samaritans 116 123 calls are free.

Please can I also stress if you feel your in danger to your self please call 999.

This is important . 

Please if you having problems with depression then you may need to speak to a Doctor.  You can refer you to a mental health charity.  If you do not need to speak to your GP need to say does help that.

Get floating support, guidance with your mental health plus additional support, information, wellbeing advice.

I used this one myself .

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

I also included MIND website has a lot of helpful guidance on how to deal with those feelings of suicidal thoughts.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

I have also included AGE UK a lot of support, advice and a net work they can help you.

Local groups.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk.

Please I hope that you can understand what I have said to you.

Apologise lots of links.  Please if I can help with anything further please get in touch.

Happy to help listen anytime.

Please keep safe and warm.  Please care of yourself your an important valued member of our community.

Please ask me anything .

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @flosie and welcome. You sound like you’re really struggling at the moment. Spiceman has done a great job signposting you to lots of fantastic resources, but could I ask if you’re getting much in the way of support at the moment?
    If you’re having suicidal thoughts, it’s really important you talk to someone qualified to help you, but it’s also really important for you to have support and help in place when you need it. Are you currently engaged with your local adult social care?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    How would she get in contact with adult social care
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Misscleo   Thank you for post. You would need to look on your local county councils website.

For local contacts.

Or if you get a booklet through the door detailing council services have details in there and contact numbers.

You could look at NHS website signposting to local services.

Please can I ask is there anything I can help with.?

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Misscleo. As Spiceman has said, you can usually find details of your local council's adult social care service on their website. Unfortunately every local authority's website is different and it can be tough to navigate their services, but they usually offer a range of options, such as these on the Gateshead council website.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • chiarieds
    edited November 2019
    Hi @flosie - Thank you for saying how you felt last night. People in this community really have great care for each other and this includes you.
    I hope the advice and links suggested may help you to get support, or just a friendly listening ear.
    After my surgery for a fractured hip, the lady in the next bed was very distressed with pain one night. I stood beside her, holding her hand & talking to her. Then the lady on the other side of her came to reassure her as well. We were there all night. In the morning I thanked the other lady who had helped, & said you're a good samaritan. She quietly said, I am one. She was one of the Samaritans willing to listen to people. Perhaps you might try them.
    You can talk here as well. I will be up until late as well as others including @thespiceman
  • chiarieds
    Hope you are doing OK, @flosie
  • flosie
    Thank you for your concern, my gp came home and doubled my antidepressants hopefully when they kick in I will feel a bit better. It's so hard trying to fight the suicidal thoughts, I have suffered with depression for many years but it is very difficult this time or year. I have a lot of stress going on in my life which makes it worse.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @flosie, sounds like things have been really tough at the moment. I'm glad the GP was able to do this and I really hope you notice a difference.
    If there is anything we can do then please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• thespiceman
    Hello @flosie   great to hear from you.  We are a community and do care, concern have time for you. Any time.
    I do understand what you are going through. Having been through a period of my life feeling suicidal about ten years ago. Coming off addiction never easy had these paranoid feelings.
    What helped me was talking about it. Contacting my GP seeking the advice, guidance of mental health charities do a lot for you.
    Please can I tell you that you do not have to embarrassed or ashamed what your experiencing, the most important thing is to seek some support.
    I mentioned the following going to put them again worth looking at.
    First then offer so much a lot different and lots of information, advice and most special of all a floating support worker you can identify any issues you are going through.
    Stress is always an issue with mental health. The teams in these charities know this use a lot of their training to give you much needed reassurance.
    I had many times feel so grateful for their intervention and wisdom..
    One other issues they also can help with evaluating any benefits or giving their insights with any personal issues or problems the charity a team to look at anything necessary to cope or deal with. 
    https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.
    https:///www.mind.org.uk.
    https://www.rethink.org
    Please can I add did you ever contact the Samaritans worth speaking them they do understand can help and listen.
    Please if you wish to have a chat any of the community are here. I am always around. Just tag my name.
    Please take care of your self your among people who do really care and have concern.
    @thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • chiarieds
    Hi @flosie - Thank you for letting us now how you are. Hopefully your extra medication may soon help.
    I do also hope you look at some of the links above that my friend the spiceman has given. He has a lot of understanding & has great empathy.
    As you see we're both here a lot, as well as the lovely people from Scope. Will check in later this evening.
  • chiarieds
    Hi @flosie - Hoping tomorrow may be a slightly better day for you. Keep yourself safe, & keep in touch with us all when you can, thank you.

Brightness