Concerned for family member. What would you do? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Concerned for family member. What would you do?

Smiley80
Smiley80 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Complex family history. Basically a family member with Down’s syndrome lives with one parent. Other parent who used to be primary carer died several years ago. The parent does the bare minimal however the vulnerable adult rarely goes outside the home, has no respite or carers and is left to watch TV all day every day.  There are other young adults in house (siblings). They are being used to look after the vulnerable adult as parent will go out and rely on others to look after the adult on a daily basis. Family member with Down Syndrome with no capacity is at times left alone. One of the younger adults has reached out to say they are worried that the vulnerable adult “is being left to rot” however parent will not have any form of help. The younger adults cannot cope with being held responsible for constant 24 hour care for vulnerable persons. I’m estranged and do not visit the household or parent. Do I contact social services with the information I have?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    If it were me I wouldn't hesitate soc services and voice the concerns that have been passed to you.
    Do any of the siblings know who the vulnerable adults social worker might be?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Smiley80
    Thank you for the reply. They know nothing. The parent makes all the descions and refuses any help from anyone other than siblings that live at home. It does not help that I live nearly 100 miles away. I have sent details to siblings of social services number etc previously but they don’t want to ring as they feel they are betraying the parent at home.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Smiley80 said:
    Thank you for the reply. They know nothing. The parent makes all the descions and refuses any help from anyone other than siblings that live at home. It does not help that I live nearly 100 miles away. I have sent details to siblings of social services number etc previously but they don’t want to ring as they feel they are betraying the parent at home.

then the option seems to be the same and you contact soc. services and voice your concerns, not easy I know but you might feel better by doing so.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Hello @Smiley80   Than you for your post. Sorry to hear this. I can imagine this very distressing for you

Please may I advise contact the following .

https://www.downs-syndrome.org.uk.

https://www.mencap.org.uk.

I am one of the community champions.  We advise and help members of our community.

I do understand what your concerns are and care for the person are. Never easy to advise on a situation such as this, I do think you do need to contact Social Services.

I had to do this myself. Simply do meet those who are in a state, have problems and need this support but are not getting any.

Or being a target of hate crime or mate crime .Understand  this you are not alone and should not feel guilty being a person you are. You are not interfering as you need to get some answers.

Please if I can help with anything please get in touch, happy to be compassionate, empathy and understanding.

Hope the Links are useful.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Smiley80. I would definitely urge you to report your concerns. If you want any help with doing this, you can get in touch with the community team via email on community@scope.org.uk
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Smiley80
    Thank you all. Have contacted them first thing this morning. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Smiley80. If there is anything we can do to help then please do not hesitate to get in touch. :)
    Scope

Brightness