Hi, my name is annet4465! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is annet4465!

annet4465
annet4465 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello to all. About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with lower spinal stenosis so up for any advice in coping with pain - walking - depression - benefits? Currently on esa only and struggling!!

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @annet4465 - Welcome to the community, &  thank you for sharing about yourself. Others will hopefully chime in with their coping strategies, etc.
    For pain, I use gentle exercise (I have hypermobile joints & can have partial dislocation of some joints + neuropathic pain), to keep me moving. I also use relaxation techniques such as focusing on my breathing. This I often do at the same time as using visualisation.....imagining lying on a warm beach & the sea washing my pain away. Distraction (listening to music; watching a film, etc) and mindfulness. Always remember good posture if you can in walking, standing & sitting.
    As far as benefits go, I will ask @poppy123456 ,as she is a mine of information. if she would please help.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

Thanks for the tag @chiarieds :)

I see you're already claiming ESA. Do you rent or own your home or live with parents? If you rent your home do you claiming housing benefit for help with this?

Do you have any dependent children? If you could answer those questions, i'll help you further.

PIP isn't means tested but claiming this will depend on how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. It's not awarded based on any diagnosis.

You'll need evidence to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this. A face to face assessment is most likely because most people have them, it's rare to have a paper based assessment.

A claim can take several months, sometimes longer. I'll add some links for you to have a look at.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @annet4465   Pleased to meet you.
    Thank you for joining and sharing.
    I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and support members.
    Please can I suggest you get some help with your depression, something to consider.
    I use mental health charities.
    Often accessing support, advice and well being on your mental health can be beneficial.
    Often get assistance with your benefits and attendance to any assessments.
    Used these three.
    https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.
    https://www.mind.org.uk.
    https://www.rethink.org.
    Last one is an advocate charity experiencing problems with medical professionals or NHS services or care packages they help you . Give you a voice.  
    One other point many charities do courses or have a Recovery College funded by themselves. Useful lots of guidance on mental health issues. Please can I add some services may not be in your areas. I would consult your GP for anything local to you.
    Please if I can help or advise further be happy to do so.
    Please take care.
    @thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Welcome to the community @annet4465. Is there anything in particular about these topics you need help with?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness