UC / SDP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC / SDP

tcellmutation
tcellmutation Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
edited November 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
I’ve attached a recent government document regarding the Severe Disability Premium benefit. Can’t make head of tail of it. I know I will not me moved to Universal Credit until 2020 - 2023 but will I be worse off?
My situation:
ESA (income)
PIP (enhanced)
Housing Benefit (single, living by myself)
SDP
It’s a detailed read but someone if someone could decode it for me I’d be grateful.

Comments

• tcellmutation
    edited November 2019

I think I could be £120 worse off each month!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    The idea was and as far as I can tell still is for transitional relief for those of us that move to UC under managed migration, that being that we will be no worse off but won't get increases down the line so we end up on the same as everybody else.
    They have done this before.
    But as you rightly say it could be as late as 2023 if not later before we are all transferred.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Your thoughts that you will be £120 worse off each month is incorrect. When transitional support protection starts then no one will be worse off.

The good news is that you're excluded from claiming UC until after 2021 and as @woodbine has advised it could be 2023 before we move across. For now, try to relax.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tcellmutation
    edited November 2019
    Thanks @woodbine @poppy123456
    Never wanted to be so wrong!
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I'm glad it wasn't as bad as you were thinking @tcellmutation. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • tcellmutation
    edited November 2019
    As the government document states on page 6, they will begin moving us SDP receivers to UC in late 2020, and expect to be completed by the end of 2023.
    I think i am correct in saying that if I am going to move house I’d better get going before all this takes place as the process will be a little less messy, for me anyway?
  • poppy123456
    As the government document states on page 6, they will begin moving us SDP receivers to UC in late 2020, and expect to be completed by the end of 2023.
    I think i am correct in saying that if I am going to move I’d better get going before all this takes place as the process will be a little less messy, for me anyway. 
    I'm sorry but that's absolutely not correct and i'm really not sure where you got that information from.

Those that are claiming SDP are excluded from claiming UC until at least January 2021. When the move finally does take place you won't be any worse off and again, i'm not sure where you got that information from.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    The amended UC regulations 2019 are here in full,  see link. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2019/1152/made

• tcellmutation
    edited November 2019
    I think i am correct in saying that if I am going to move I’d better get going before all this takes place as the process will be a little less messy, for me anyway. 
    I'm sorry but that's absolutely not correct and i'm really not sure where you got that information from.

Those that are claiming SDP are excluded from claiming UC until at least January 2021. When the move finally does take place you won't be any worse off and again, i'm not sure where you got that information from.

Page 6 in the gov document I attached.

under the latest timetable announced by the DWP the main phase of managed migration is expected to get underway in late 2020, and be completed by the end of 2023.

I was getting confused with the above which I believe isn’t referring to SDP claimants.

Below is correct and is what you have been saying...

Removal of the SDP gateway from January 2021 means that, from that point onwards, legacy benefit claimants with SDP experiencing a relevant change of circumstances will, instead of remaining on legacy benefits until they move onto UC via managed migration, naturally migrate and lose their SDP. They will however be eligible for SDP transitional payments (see below) on the same basis as people who moved to UC before the SDP gateway was introduced in January 2019.”

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @tcellmutation. If you're expecting any change to happen that would typically trigger a change to UC, it would be best to do this before January 2021, as your SDP protects you from being made to claim UC. If you move after this date it's possible you'll be considered to have 'naturally migrated' meaning you'd lose the protection of managed migration. 

Community Manager
    Scope
  • tcellmutation
    Hi @tcellmutation. If you're expecting any change to happen that would typically trigger a change to UC, it would be best to do this before January 2021, as your SDP protects you from being made to claim UC. If you move after this date it's possible you'll be considered to have 'naturally migrated' meaning you'd lose the protection of managed migration. 

Yeh thought so, thanks!
  • poppy123456
    If you move before January 2021 then it's as simple as re-claiming housing benefits at your new address.

If you move after that date and you're still with the same local council then you'll be able to reclaim housing benefit, unless the rules changes at that time. It's only a different local council that will prompt a move to UC after that date.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.