Can anyone calm my mind? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can anyone calm my mind?

Miss_Molly86
Miss_Molly86 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited November 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Anxiety is through the roof.
Was called in for a compliance interview today due to someone making an anonymous accusation (unfortunately not my first)
This person has stated I was claiming benefits whilst working. Which is only partly true. I started in May, and the dwp were aware of this. But the allegation is stating I've worked there since last year. 
I have proof I am working now, wage slips etc but can't prove I wasn't working then if you know what I mean. It's their word against mine. If the dwp had any evidence to back up this allegation, are they required to tell me? I know I've don't nothing wrong but I can't prove it. 

I know this seems contradictory but it's the way my mind works.... I do the same thing when I walk out of a shop without buying anything... I've done nothing wrong but I'm paranoid as hell that I'll get stopped

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Unless you're paid cash in hand then bank statements will prove if you weren't working at the time they say you were.

May i ask what benefits you are or were claiming at the time you were working? You can work and claim benefits at the same time, there's no rules to say you can't work and claim benefits, it just depends on circumstances and how much you and/or your partner earn.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Miss_Molly86, really sorry to hear that this is causing you so much anxiety. How are you feeling today? I hope @poppy123456 has been able to help. :)
    Scope

• Miss_Molly86
    Hi,

Unless you're paid cash in hand then bank statements will prove if you weren't working at the time they say you were.

May i ask what benefits you are or were claiming at the time you were working? You can work and claim benefits at the same time, there's no rules to say you can't work and claim benefits, it just depends on circumstances and how much you and/or your partner earn.

I was claiming esa, I was permitted to do 16 hours a week. Switched over to UC in July. 
    The thing that I'm worried about is that I was offered the job several times through my friend, last time being March but I couldn't start due to my back and mental health. So I didn't actually start until the beginning of May, yet the compliance officer said the report was made a month earlier in April. The allegation said I had been working there since October. I have no way to prove I wasn't working
  • Miss_Molly86
    Hi @Miss_Molly86, really sorry to hear that this is causing you so much anxiety. How are you feeling today? I hope @poppy123456 has been able to help. :)
    Not much better tbh. 
    I'm running worst case scenarios on a loop in my head. I'm not sleeping, I feel sick to my stomach with worry. I don't know what to do
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Miss_Molly86   Pleased to meet you.
    Please can I suggest if you contact any of the links.
    https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.
    https://www.mind.org.uk.
    https://www.rethink.org.
    All helpful useful for those with anxiety and how to deal with it also one other point can help with problems with benefits .
    Must add might not be in all areas.
    Sorry to hear what you are going through.
    Please if I can help further please contact me, I am one of the team of community champions.
    Please take care.
    @thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    If you were working 16 hours a week when you were claiming ESA then this is above the allowed hours for permitted work. It has to be less than 16 hours per week. Any weeks you did 16 hours or more then you wouldn't have been entitled to any ESA for those weeks.

Bank statements will prove you weren't working when they say you were, if you were paid into your bank.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Miss_Molly86
    If you were working 16 hours a week when you were claiming ESA then this is above the allowed hours for permitted work. It has to be less than 16 hours per week. Any weeks you did 16 hours or more then you wouldn't have been entitled to any ESA for those weeks.

Bank statements will prove you weren't working when they say you were, if you were paid into your bank.
    Sorry, I should have been clearer. I only worked 10 hours a week split over 3/4 days, and still only do 10 hours at the moment. What I meant was I knew I was permitted to work up to 16 hours. 

Unfortunately I am paid in cash. It does go through hmrc though so there is a record there... But again, nothing to prove I wasn't working before May. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.