Hi, my name is jamjar! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is jamjar!

jamjar
jamjar Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Just looking for some information and came across this organisation. Wonder what it is all about and how helpful it may be.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jamjar - Welcome to the community. This is a very helpful & supportive community, but first, what information are you looking for? If you might say, then hopefully there may be someone here who can advise or help you more.
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Hello @jamjar I’m Emma, one of the Community Champions. Welcome to the community. Scope is an organisation dedicated to fighting for equality for disabled people.  

The online community is a place of support, we also answer queries other users may have where we can. If we can’t we tag the fantastic members of Team Scope and direct users to their services.  What information can we help you with?
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jamjar and welcome to the community! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jamjar and welcome also to the Community.  It is nice to have you on board and glad you found us!  How are you today?  If there is anything at all we can help you with then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • jamjar
    Hello all. Nice to hear from you so soon. I am late 60s and have fibromyalgia IBS and arthritis as well as depression and anxiety that seem to accompany long term health problems. Live alone in housing association bungalow which is in need of a declutter and decorating. I was wondering whether anyone knows of a service out there that could do the packing up and moving around of furniture and belongings while flooring and decorating gets done. 
    I also don’t sleep well and am up early this morning having had very little sleep. I hope you are doing ok this morning and have a good day and weekend. jj
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Hi @jamjar -  Thank you for sharing about yourself. You are facing a lot right now. I'm going to ask @thespiceman to help as he knows of many resources for mental health.
    I'll also ask @Chloe_Scope to see if she has any ideas about the help you need moving furniture, etc.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Hello @jamjar   Pleased to meet you.
    Thank you for joining.
    I am one of the team of community champions. Our role is we support, advise and help members of our community.
    SCOPE is a charity looking at supporting those with a wide range of conditions and disabilities, illness.
    Also does campaigns and brings awareness to any matters involving disability in the media or social web pages.

Please if I can advise further have a lot with these links regarding your mental health. All charities take clientele with additional problems as well as mental health.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.
    https://www.mind.org.uk.
    https://www.rethink.org.

All charities offer floating support, guidance and advice with wellbeing ,health. Benefits and assessments.
    The last one is an advocate charity helps with medical professionals and NHS services .  Intervention and support you in any problem getting  heard or need a explanation.
    I add also AGEUK.
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk.
    Helpline 0800 055 6112
    Useful for support networks and lots on the website good to know.
    Can be useful in accessing support, advice on a variety of things.
    Welfare and assistance.
    https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk.
    Helpline 020 7367 4500
    Please if I can help with anything wish to ask any questions please get in touch.
    Happy to be supportive.
    Please take care.
    @thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • jamjar
    Thank you that is very good of you. I will look at all and seek further information about  any help they may be able to offer. Have a good weekend everyone.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Great to have you with us @jamjar. I hope you had a good weekend. :smile:
    In terms of finding a service who'll help shifting furniture while work's done on your home, I've not come across anyone who fits that niche unfortunately. Have you thought about trying a local packing service or a removal company?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • jamjar
    Hi Adrian, Thank you for your advice. I had thought about packing and removal companies to help. Unfortunately I have found no one locally who do that service. Am still looking into how to go about getting rid of furniture, moving other pieces and decorating. I just find the whole process really daunting but it must be done! 
    Thanks again.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @jamjar. Most councils provide a large item collection which might help you with disposing of some of the furniture, or depending on the condition some charities might collect it for refurbishment and re-sale.
    Good luck and please let us know how you get on. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness