paper based assessment pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

paper based assessment pip

Options
stacey0208
stacey0208 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
Hi i have been given a paper based assessment without asking for one, dont get me wrong this is good news as i would have really struggled to attend a f2f assessment.
I am being assessed for my mental health which i have struggled with for years but is only getting worse to the extent its stopped me working hence why i am claiming pip.

They recieved my how my dissability effects me form on the 17th of november and by the 22nd November i recieved a text saying we have recieved the written report assessment we will write to you with a decision within 6 weeks.
does anyone think this is all a bit quick and could be a bad sign or the opposite that i provided enough evidence to support my claim.

Thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome.

I have to admit that's very quick indeed BUT no one can predict anything at this stage. Best thing you can do is ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

You'll still need to wait for the decision but once that's made if you're not happy you'll have 1 month from that date to request the mandatory reconsideration.

Also, there's no timescales to decisions. The time they give is just a guide.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • stacey0208
    Options
    Thank you for the reply poppy I phoned DWP yesterday after receiving the text and the person I spoke to said I cannot have a copy of the report until the decision is made. Is this correct 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome. Not if you live in the UK no. Ring again on Monday and you'll probably speak to another person who will agree to send it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • stacey0208
    Options
    Yes I Live in the uk I will call again Monday thank you 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Let us know how you get on @stacey0208. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope it goes well @stacey0208. :)
    Scope

• stacey0208
    Options
    Hi all me again

I only requested my pip asessment letter on monday and have recieved it today i wanted a bit of advice really. i got 11 points for daily living and 0 Mobility. so i dont have physical conditions its all mental health. 

so planning and following journeys i was hoping to get something which the minimum is 8 points so i would have qualified for standard rate. My question is i do not want to fight it if i am not entitled to it if you understand. 
    i believe i would come under cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person.

So for me my anxiety is so bad that most days i go out i need someone with me incase i have a panic attack, and if i go somewhere im unfamiliar with it causes even more distress and i will have a break down. so i was scored 0 on this.

the assessor wrote how ever she is only prescribed first line medication- this is because i am pregnant
    although she does have some symptoms of anxiety there is no evidence to indicate overwhelming psycological distress, therefore it would be medically probable that she will be able to plan and follow a route of a journey unaided on a majority of days.

sorry for the long post but do you think if i got a letter from my gp to say that it does cause me severe distress to plan and follow an unfamiliar route on my own i have a chance of winning

stacey
  • stacey0208
    Options
    Also engaging with other people face to face whats the difference between these 2
     b. Needs prompting to be able to engage with other people.  2 points.
    c. Needs social support to be able to engage with other people.  4 points.

i avoid talking to other people as much as possible especially unfamiliar people. and on a majority of the days i have someone with me to make it easier and to stop me pannicking 
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Options
    On the mobility descriptor I want to help, but I fear my advise would be wrong.  The problem with that descriptor is its been challenged a lot, with the DWP's interpretation been very different to what others believe it should be and as a result a lot of people are having to go to appeal to get it awarded.  Assessor's will follow DWP guidance on descriptors.  But DWP guidance is not necessarily the correct one.
  • stacey0208
    Options
    So ive read that if you cannot use public transport then you should qualify I may be wrong 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Preferring to have someone with you when you go out is not sufficient to score points for 11D and F

Prompting means someone persuading or encouraging you to do something.

social support means someone with you.

Having some understanding of the PIP descriptors always helps, i'd advise you to have a read of this link before doing anything else. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

Although most MR decisions remain the same, there's a chance you could lose everything you already have but of course it can also be increased. No one on an internet forum can tel you if you should be awarded more points for a higher award because no one knows exactly how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors.

• stacey0208
    Options
    OK thank you. I don’t have someone with me because I prefer to I have someone with me or I physically cannot do it 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Why do you need to have someone with you and what would happen if you didn't have someone with you? This is what they will want to know and you'll need to give 2-3 real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity.

Have a read of the link i posted above.
  • stacey0208
    Options
    I Had a read and this was on there 
    A person should only be considered able to follow an unfamiliar journey if they would be capable of using public transport – the assessment of which should focus on ability rather than choice. Even before getting on transport just even trying I plan it makes my anxiety so bad it leads to a panic attack I feel trapped and it’s to crowded and noisy 
  • stacey0208
    Options
    Even being even being accompanied i still not can get on any public transport I need an escape route
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    It sounds like it's really stressful for you @stacey0208. I really hope the information above is beneficial and please do let us know if there's anything else we can do. :)
    Scope

• stacey0208
    Options
    Hi all so I first made my claim on the 5th of November and have received my first payment today. The quickest decision I have ever seen. What i would like to know Is while I Am requesting a mandatory reconsideration will my payments I have been awarded stop or continue.

By the way I was awarded standard daily with 11 points and no mobility with 0 points 

thanks 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You payments will continue when requesting the MR.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    Thank you for answering this @poppy123456, I wish you the best of luck @stacey0208!
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.