Difficulties booking holidays — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Difficulties booking holidays

rosebud21
rosebud21 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
hi does anyone have difficulties booking holidays

Comments

• rosebud21
    hi everyone I don't know if I am on the right sight . But this is me I have osteoarthritis and fibromilragia I have spent the last 7 years in pain.I struggle with most daily activities I can't walk far without being in pain,so I have a mobility scooter and a wheeled walker. I am now 58 years old. My life has changed so much from being a horse rider and dog walker to being confined to my home which I hardly ever leave. I have lost all of my friends Barr one. 

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rosebud21 and welcoming to the community! Sorry to hear this, is there a specific type of holiday you are looking for?

When I was looking for accommodation for our honeymoon, I went through Disabled Access Holidays and they were brilliant!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Connie00
    Connie00 Community member Posts: 252 Pioneering
    hello@Rosebud21

My Name is Connie00

I am one off the community Champion’s here at Scope.  it’s really nice to meet you. thank you for contacting us

A very warm welcome to the Community. I trust you are having a good day today

I myself suffer with Asthma Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, CFS and FND, (functional neurological disorder) and a lung disorder which completely fails me when I have an asthma attack. I understand only to well what you go through with looking for suitable holidays as @Ami2301 surgests thats a good link to use.

I often spend hours trawling through the internet for accessible and adapted holidays.

we always have to pay more than the average Joe which is not fair so I really do understand what you mean.

Regards Connie00

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    @rosebud21 - Just wanted to say 'Hi.' Personally I hadn't had a holiday for over 25 years, when my son asked me to go away with himself & wife 2 years ago. He was able to use his Tesco vouchers (which can reduce the price of a holiday by up to £100) by using https://www.cottages.com.
    He researched, & found an accessible one for me. He did the same last year. These are for self-catering properties in the UK (& he made sure the travelling distance was not too far for me as sitting increases my pain). Don't know if this helps as it would depend on the type of holiday you're hoping for. They also have cottages abroad.
    I too have osteoarthrosis affecting many joints, & my walking is very limited. My son found each time a cottage with a bath, so I could have a long soak whilst they went on dog walks!
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    What company did you use @chiarieds? I have had problems trying to find suitable wheelchair friendly hotels for next summer when we are going to Cornwall for fourteen days. Might try to rent a seaside self catering property instead. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi April, we used cottages.com. See: https://www.cottages.com.
    Mentioned this company above. You can search for the criteria you wish & they show their respective accessibility features if they have them.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rosebud21 and a very warm welcome to the community! How are you doing today? :)
    Scope

• rosebud21
    hi I'm not too bad today thanks 

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi all. I`ve mentioned this before, but maybe you`ve missed it.
    I help run a holiday group for disabled people via facebook.
    It`s called Limited Mobility & Wheelchair Friendly Holidays.

have a look. We have loads of places for all types of mobility levels.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing this @pollyanna1052. :)
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    I hope people look at it x
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @rosebud21
                            Welcome to the community, thank you for joining us. How are you? In terms of booking holidays I use disabledholidays.com I find them to be really helpful so please do take a look. Thank you. 
  • Jill5529
    Jill5529 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi. I’ve only just found this forum, so hello everyone :) 

The main problems I’ve had booking holidays have been the availability of accessible accommodation and not being able to book last minute. We went to Butlins last year and stayed in a normal twin bed room, but I found the shower difficult to access and the car had to be parked miles away (I’m a scooter user - degenerative discs and fibromyalgia), so I tried to book an accessible twin room for next year, to be told they had all gone (10 months in advance!). I was offered a double room, but I’m on my own with my 13yo son, so not really appropriate to be sharing a bed, or an apartment which was double the price of the room I wanted to book. 

We generally holiday in our touring caravan, which I’ve adapted to make useable, but also like a cheeky cheap Sun £9.50 type holiday sometimes, although I find these difficult sometimes as end up having to pay to upgrade to get one that I can park near/get my scooter into etc. It’s frustrating as it always seems to cost more money just because I need better access to things!
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    We just booked a ski vacation. It was slightly harder but I think it will be worth the hassle. We are going to ski in Pennsylvania next November for two weeks. This year we were in sunny Florida for a beach vacation back in June. I loved it. We played in the water and had a great time.

I had to contact the ski resort twice to enquire about wheelchair access. I have not been skiing since early 2010 when I was 13. I told them we have a child who uses a wheelchair and asked what they could do to help. I find being calm and polite helps. 
  • pollyanna1052
    Jill..have a look at the holiday group I mentioned...Might be of help to you xx
    [polly xx

Brightness