lcwra — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

lcwra

chris84
chris84 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi

i had my assessment on friday 29th november there (2019),later that day i got a message on UC saying that i was awarded lcwra ,
i started my universal claim on november 2018 and started handing in sick notes,it took me a whole 12 months to go for an assessment ,will i get that money backdated as ive missed out on at least 11 payments?

Chris

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Are you sure you had a decision the same day as your assessment? Usually you have to wait for the report to be returned from the health assessment providers and then for a decision maker to take look, this process can take between 2-8 weeks.

If that is correct then there's a 3 month waiting period. This means that you'll receive the extra element on the 4th full assessment period from when you sent your first fit note. When it will be backdated to will depend on your assessment period dates and when you sent that fit note in.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @chris84 and welcome to the community. In the past month or so, I have heard of a few people receiving decisions on the same day as their assessment and others having a really quick turnaround, which is obviously a good thing. 
    As Poppy has said, you should receive it backdated to the end of the 3 month wait period. 
    Best of luck. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • VOB
    VOB Community member Posts: 45 Pioneering
    Hi I'm totally confused do you actually get paid if your in the LCW,? I thought you only got paid if you were put in support group.
    I'm sorry but I have read and read about this but it doesn't seem to be sinking in to my head.
    Can you explain in an easy read version please.
    Thankyou.?
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2019
    VOB said:
    Hi I'm totally confused do you actually get paid if your in the LCW,? I thought you only got paid if you were put in support group.
    I'm sorry but I have read and read about this but it doesn't seem to be sinking in to my head.
    Can you explain in an easy read version please.
    Thankyou.?
    You only receive the extra money for LCW if your claim started before April 2017, otherwise there's no extra money for this group.

If you're given LCWRA which is the same as Support Group then you'll receive the extra £336 per month. Chris was given LCWRA. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • chris84
    HI,

Are you sure you had a decision the same day as your assessment? Usually you have to wait for the report to be returned from the health assessment providers and then for a decision maker to take look, this process can take between 2-8 weeks.

If that is correct then there's a 3 month waiting period. This means that you'll receive the extra element on the 4th full assessment period from when you sent your first fit note. When it will be backdated to will depend on your assessment period dates and when you sent that fit note in.
    yeah it was the same day i was quite surprised myself i got a message in my  UC journal  a few hours after my assessment saying "hi please see attached the decision on your work capability assessment" its a pdf file that i downloaded saying that ive been awarded LCWRA,

i made a new universal claim on october 2018 and my first sick note was handed in november 2018 and thats me just been to my assessment november 2019.

it has been a struggle for a year trying to live of £250 a month the extra money will come in handy.

• poppy123456
    edited December 2019
    How much you'll be backdated will depend, when your assessment period is because it's paid from the 4th complete assessment period, from when you sent your first fit note.
  • chris84
    How much you'll be backdated will depend, when your assessment period is because it's paid from the 4th complete assessment period, from when you sent your first fit note.

thanks for reply

is the assessment period when i first handed in sick notes 

Fit note start date: 30 October 2018
    Fit note end date: 13 November 2018 .

• poppy123456
    edited December 2019
    Yes, it starts from when you sent the first fit note but you will have needed to continue to send them without any gaps, did you continue to send them for a whole year?

It will also depend on when your assessment period dates are. The assessment period is when your entitlement is calculated. When did your claim for UC start?
  • chris84
    Yes, it starts from when you sent the first fit note but you will have needed to continue to send them without any gaps, did you continue to send them for a whole year?

It will also depend on when your assessment period dates are.
    yeah i started handing in sicknotes for the full year from november 13th 2018 with no gaps, my current sick note runs out on january 2020
    but was awarded lcwra in 29th november 2019
  • poppy123456
    Please answer this question, when did you first start claiming UC?

Also in an above comment you said your first fit note start date was 30h October and then you said it was 13th November?

I can't help you further without knowing the exact dates of those 2 questions.
  • chris84
    started my claim on 23 Oct 2018 
    first sick note handed in on the 
    • Fit note start date: 30 October 2018
    • Fit note end date: 13 November 2018
    sick notes were handed in when they expired for the rest of the year 2018/2019

• poppy123456
    edited December 2019
    What dates are your assessment periods? Are they 23rd to 22nd of the month? If so then you'll be owed backdated money from March 2019.

No further fit notes are needed.
  • chris84
    assessment period is 26th to 25th

would it not be backdated to February as i handed in sicknotes to cover november,december,january (3 month waiting period beginning on the day you provide medical evidence)
  • poppy123456
    Thanks for that. No, because it has to be 3 full assessment periods, which means you miss the first month.
  • chris84
    Thanks for that. No, because it has to be 3 full assessment periods, which means you miss the first month.
    thanks for the help,i phoned them earlier chasing up how long till i receive the backdated pay they just said its been approved and waiting to be calculated but once complete it can take upto 2 days to reach my bank so hopefully i get it this week
  • shan81
    shan81 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    I had assessment in 15 Nov and place in lcwra group on the 19th Nov I have been handing sick note in since April 19 they have now said I'm in the lcwra for 12 month they owe me 4 payments of lcwra from July they said but are keeping it so instead of going for another medical in 12 months I can have it 16 months instead I'm sure this wrong didn't think they could that
  • poppy123456
    shan81 said:
    I had assessment in 15 Nov and place in lcwra group on the 19th Nov I have been handing sick note in since April 19 they have now said I'm in the lcwra for 12 month they owe me 4 payments of lcwra from July they said but are keeping it so instead of going for another medical in 12 months I can have it 16 months instead I'm sure this wrong didn't think they could that
    Sometimes the forum is quiet so it can take a while for someone to answer your question.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.