Sons ESa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sons ESa

Naughtynan
Naughtynan Community member Posts: 87 Courageous
Hi
I'm back only after a few days getting over the shock of my own mandatory reconsideration fail for Universal credit and today received a reassessment form for my sons ESA. He was assessed three years ago around October 2016 and got place in support group. In the f2f assessment the assessor said she will put him in as no need to be assessed f2f in the future so I thought he was given a life placement in support group. Now I have to fill his esa50 form and go through everything again. That added to strain of my own apeal for universal credit lcwra. It's never ending this cycle of forms, assessments, MR and apeal. I seriously wish I could work and support both myself and my son and stick 2 fingers to dwp.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Hello @Naughtynan   Pleased to meet you.
    Sorry to hear what you are going through, how can I help.?
    I am one of the team of community champions, we support help members.
    Please if I can advise, try to get some help with any of this the benefits.
    I do understand what you are going through, being claiming a long time.
    If your son has a condition or disability or mental health issues, their are organisations, associations connected with all of that.
    Please let me know see if I can get some additional support for you and your son.
    Lots on line.  Tag my name like I have done with yours it will come to me. I will have a look on line for you.
    Also speak to CAB they have trained staff to help with form filling in. Benefit expertise and knowledge .
    I use them now do not have mental health support. Please if you need to know anything please ask.  Some one from our team or a member of our community be able to advise.
    We are here to help and be compassionate and offer empathy. 
    Understand the struggle and pain the emotions. Have been there.
    Please keep in touch happy to listen.
    Please take care safe and warm, your not alone.
    @thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Naughtynan
    edited November 2019
    Hello @Naughtynan   Pleased to meet you.
    Sorry to hear what you are going through, how can I help.?
    I am one of the team of community champions, we support help members.
    Please if I can advise, try to get some help with any of this the benefits.
    I do understand what you are going through, being claiming a long time.
    If your son has a condition or disability or mental health issues, their are organisations, associations connected with all of that.
    Please let me know see if I can get some additional support for you and your son.
    Lots on line.  Tag my name like I have done with yours it will come to me. I will have a look on line for you.
    Also speak to CAB they have trained staff to help with form filling in. Benefit expertise and knowledge .
    I use them now do not have mental health support. Please if you need to know anything please ask.  Some one from our team or a member of our community be able to advise.
    We are here to help and be compassionate and offer empathy. 
    Understand the struggle and pain the emotions. Have been there.
    Please keep in touch happy to listen.
    Please take care safe and warm, your not alone.
    @thespiceman

@thespiceman, hi ? thank you for the kind reply. My son's 23 and he has autism. He was very upset obviously when I told him today. Last time for his PIP apeal which he won I asked citizen advice for help. They must adviced me to attend the apeal hearing as they have better chance of success. I did everything myself and in the apeal for his Pip he answered judges question to the best of his ability and he won. 
    I remember though for his esa f2f assessment we were told he wouldn't need to attend anymore f2f assessment so I'm baffled why they have sent an assessment form again.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If your son was last re-assessed 3 years ago then it would have been impossible for him to have been given ESA support group for life because the severe conditions group didn't exist at the time.

The new rules for the severe conditions group weren't introduced until September/October 2017. This means that those that are re-assessed after this date if their conditions fall into the very specific criteria then it will tell you on the decision letter that no further re-assessments are needed.

You really shouldn't listen to what a HCP tells you because they are not supposed to say anything to you because that's not their job. They are there to make recommendations only.

This link gives information about the severe conditions group and unless he's placed into this group after this re-assessment then he'll continue to be re-assessed in the future and this could be anytime from 3 months.

My advice to you when filling out the form is to put as much information as possible about how his conditions affect him. Make sure you send relevant evidence with the form to support his claim because they rarely contact anyone for this. You will also need to make sure that form is returned no later than the date stated in the letter, failure to do this and he could be found fit for work for failing to return the form.

Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Naughtynan   Thank you for the reply and sharing.  Sorry to hear all this.
    Please if I give this organisation first.

The Autistic Society. 
    helpline 020 7833 2299
    Please contact them and see what support  can offer to your son, 
    Times open helpline are Monday to Thursday 10.00 am to 4pm
    Friday 9am to 3pm..
    Email nas@nas.org.uk.
    CAB do not attend assessments some organisation will. These are mental health charities do. Often intervene or attend assessments. If you son has anxiety or depression with his autism.
    I have included those links as well.
    https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.
    https://www.mind.org.uk.
    https://www.rethink.org.
    Many mental health charities have floating support help, advise and support those with benefits looking at well being and health. 
    Might not be in all areas.
    I am disabled but also have a mental health condition.
    Please can I add is there any support you need your self. Lots of my time do not mind helping.  Please ask is there anything I can assist with. Understand your important too remember. Sorry to hear what you have been through. Please can ask did you ever contact your local MP. Many wish t know and are interested in Universal Credit and its problems. Some members have had a lot of success and positive outcomes, results.
    I am going to tag in my friend @poppy123456 who is a member of our team of community champions.
    The lady has knowledge and expertise on benefit questions and problems. I do want you get the right answers. My friend will inform you of reasons why  assessment.
    Hopefully be in touch.
    Pleasure to meet you. Please keep in touch. and take care.
    @thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Naughtynan
    edited November 2019
    Thank you both, I'll look at the links tomorrow as I my medications are kicking in making me drowsy. You have been really helpful and informative really appreciate it. 
    Poppy no it wasn't mentioned in his letters, just that he was placed in support group but the assessor said she recommends lifetime support group. I just assumed it was awarded. My mistake ?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Naughtynan. I'm really sorry this has come through so soon after your own problems with UC. I can certainly understand why you'd be finding it so stressful. Do you have anyone that can help you with your son's form?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Naughtynan
    Hi @Naughtynan. I'm really sorry this has come through so soon after your own problems with UC. I can certainly understand why you'd be finding it so stressful. Do you have anyone that can help you with your son's form?
    Hi Adrian
    Not really. I am thinking maybe contact advice centre but Last time for my son's pip apeal they just adviced me to attend the tribunal in person, didn't help with forms. I see if I can at least see someone or get some advice on the phone. The date the form needs to be returned by is 30 December. 
  • poppy123456

There's no extension of time to return the form so do make sure that it's return with enough time for them to receive it. Christmas post will cause more delays and last posting day will be here before we know it. If it's not received by that date then he risks being found fit for work for failing to return.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Naughtynan
    Hi, my sons medical assessment appointment letter has now arrived. It's on the 6th January so pretty quick. Daunting but glad it's not too long to wait. Hope he gets it as I don't think I can deal with yet another appeal. Had enough stress I have started losing my hair 
  • poppy123456
    I'm sorry to hear how much stress this is causing you! Good luck to your son for that assessment. Once he's had it, wait a week and then ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report. Once you receive it you'll have some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. You'll need to look towards the back of the report for the LCW and LCWRA recommendations. If you don't understand it, post here and someone will help you because they aren't the easiest reports to understand.
  • Naughtynan
    Thank you Poppy. Good point yes I'll phone them for the report as at least the decision won't be too much of a shock when it comes.  :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Not much longer to wait @Naughtynan. Best of luck to your son for the assessment. Please let us know how it goes. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Naughtynan
    Hi
    Just back from the very busy assessment centre. The interview took 10 minutes and she said to wait for dwp decision in a few weeks. I will be calling dwp next week for a copy of the assessment.  
  • Adrian_Scope
    How did your son find the assessment @Naughtynan? I hope you're both doing well.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Naughtynan
    edited January 2020
    How did your son find the assessment @Naughtynan? I hope you're both doing well.
    Hi Adrian
    Thank you, we're doing ok.  ?
    He was fine in the interview as she seemed gentle with him. It was the waiting room that was very busy so my son was uneasy about that we sat in the corner. Appointment was at 3 but we got there early and we were told there was going to be a delay. We were finally seen at 3.40ish. My son is ok with one to one as he's used to it as its like it was in his school. When it's in a group of people he can't cope.
  • Adrian_Scope
    I'm glad the assessment itself wasn't too bad @Naughtynan
    Will you be calling for a copy of the assessment report today?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Naughtynan
    I'm glad the assessment itself wasn't too bad @Naughtynan
    Will you be calling for a copy of the assessment report today?
    Yes I called them and it's being sent. Fingers crossed xx
  • poppy123456
    Once you receive it, take a look at the LCW and LCWRA recommendations towards the back of the report. If you need help to understand what it means then please do post back. They usually go with the report.  Good luck.
  • Naughtynan

Got the report today. However we were only in there for 10 minutes as I looked at the time myself but on the report it said 15.35 start 16.07 end of interview so about 30 minutes. Perhaps the interview is started as they open the file on their computer?
    Anyhow what does this mean? 
  • poppy123456
    The time in the assessment doesn't really matter here to be honest. I can tell you that limited capability for work related activity means Support Group and this is what they recommend, which is great. They very rarely go against the report but you will need to wait for the decision as confirmation but sounds like it will be good news.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.