Fear of the illness — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fear of the illness

cracker
cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
I am feeling very frail just now and my mind is going back to the calls that put me in hospital. I could not walk.

I have severe osteoporosis and a fall could kill me or put me into a nursing home.
I have pushed beyond my physical limits today and have a fear I will call again. I read I am too weak and will call again.

How do others handle this and the fear of knowing that health will not improve?

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    Hi, I`m wondering if you mean fall when you say call?

My condition caused me to have many falls...some quite spectacularly dangerous.

One was into a glass porch, smashing my mouth, another on a canal bridge, which was about to open. Luckily the bridgeman saw me, hit the emergency stop button and ran to my rescue.

After other face plants into the ground, with worsening mobility I became a wheelchair user. Safety first!

Have you thought about using a wheelchair? Many of my disabled friends have been at this crosswords and worried it would be giving in.
    I disagree with that train of thought entirely!

Better to be on 4 wheels than the alternative, eh?

These are some of the advantages of being a wheelie, as I call myself.

1. I don't fall anymore
    2. I can go out and not come back knackered
    3. Queueing is more comfortable.
    4. The vast majority if people will hold doors open, reach to get  things for me in shops

Some disadvantages;
    1. I get cold...but wrap up
    2. Cant close in on counters as easily
    3. I cant pass the car on the drive.

Overall opinion;

go for the wheels!

As for your last question...I know I wont improve healthwise.....but I`m 67 now and managed to get here from 47, so I reckon I could do another 10!

• mrbuttons
    mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
    I used to live in fear of having another Stroke without warning even when i get a severe headache i worry as that was the only indicator i had of an impending brain problem. But in all reality its unlikely to happen again. I have medication to lesson the risk and i have made some big changes to my lifestyle.

I made the decision to not be overwhelmed by the spectre of fear of having another attack because i see my still being alive as a second chance that i dont want to spend in fear. But its easier said than done.
    My balance and walking are unsteady i can easily fall because the stroke left me un coordinated on one side so one l drags when i walk. In the past i have used a rolator to support me when i was learning to walk again.it was great to build my confidence and as it had a seat it was good for when i got  knackered. I think i might get another one.

I would recommend any bit of equipment that boosts confidence.
    Cracker, do you have a community alarm? I have a pendant that i can press if i fall and speak to an operator who can send help if needed. I got it through the local council social services and pay approx a fiver a week for peace of mind.BARGAIN!!!
    It might help you too. Just a suggestion.
    Do you have any regular help at home? 
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    I have people who come to help with cleaning and driving me to the store carrying groceries and getting to the doctor. Two to four a day.

I do wear a Lifeline pendant which will get me help if I call.

My apartment is not wheelchair accessible

I may have sounded too dramatic about the fear. I don't dwell on it most of the time.

It does make me watch every step I take.

Thanks for your understanding and suggestios.
  • pollyanna1052
    cracker said:
    I have people who come to help with cleaning and driving me to the store carrying groceries and getting to the doctor. Two to four a day.

I do wear a Lifeline pendant which will get me help if I call.

My apartment is not wheelchair accessible

I may have sounded too dramatic about the fear. I don't dwell on it most of the time.

It does make me watch every step I take.

Thanks for your understanding and suggestios.

So would you be prepared to use a wheelchair if you home was suitable?
    I`ve had ramps made, doors widened and doors removed.

The council do this for free.

Or what about moving to a more accessible place? Too much stress?
  • pollyanna1052
    mrbuttons said:
    I used to live in fear of having another Stroke without warning even when i get a severe headache i worry as that was the only indicator i had of an impending brain problem. But in all reality its unlikely to happen again. I have medication to lesson the risk and i have made some big changes to my lifestyle.

I made the decision to not be overwhelmed by the spectre of fear of having another attack because i see my still being alive as a second chance that i dont want to spend in fear. But its easier said than done.
    My balance and walking are unsteady i can easily fall because the stroke left me un coordinated on one side so one l drags when i walk. In the past i have used a rolator to support me when i was learning to walk again.it was great to build my confidence and as it had a seat it was good for when i got  knackered. I think i might get another one.

I would recommend any bit of equipment that boosts confidence.
    Cracker, do you have a community alarm? I have a pendant that i can press if i fall and speak to an operator who can send help if needed. I got it through the local council social services and pay approx a fiver a week for peace of mind.BARGAIN!!!
    It might help you too. Just a suggestion.
    Do you have any regular help at home? 

Yes Mr B, get another rollator...for safety yeh?xx

Brightness