PIP home assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP home assessment

SunnyTM
SunnyTM Community member Posts: 11 Connected
Hi everyone. I have a PIP assessment at home in a few weeks and it's my first one at home. Does anyone have experience of this? Does it make a difference whether i have it in the bedroom or living room? Does anyone have any advice? 

Comments

• SunnyTM
    SunnyTM Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    My husband works full time so I don't think he qualifies for carers allowance. The problem is that he now has to do everything around the house and care for me as my health has declined. Plus he has M.E. / Chronic Fatigue himself so is really struggling. All we'd really like would be for him to be able to work one less day a week but we can't afford to lose any money. Is there any help available? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

A home assessment is the same as an assessment in a centre, except it's in your home instead, which is better because obviously it's in your home.

I have known for the assessment to take place in your bedroom, if you're not able to get out of bed. If you are then the living room is probably the best place. My daughters home assessment took place in the living room.

They don't ask to look around so don't worry about that. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    Hi,

Unfortunately, he won't be able to claim carers allowance because his earning would exceed the maximum amount allowed.

Whether you would be entitled to Universal Credit will depend on both your circumstances because Universal Credit is a means tested benefit. Putting both your details into a benefits calculator may give you some idea providing the details you put in are correct. When you do put the details in make sure you put that he cares for you and then it will add on the carers element.

Also if your husband is struggling with his health he could start a PIP claim for himself, providing he's had the condition for at least 3 month and expect it to last at least a further 9 months. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/before-claiming/how-much-you-get-and-how-long/

He could also speak to his employer about reasonable adjustments in the workplace  https://www.acas.org.uk/article/6074/Reasonable-adjustments-in-the-workplace

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SunnyTM, I hope the advice from Poppy has been helpful. Is there anything else we can do to help?
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.