Lcwra — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lcwra

Options
Mike72
Mike72 Community member Posts: 23 Listener
Hi, please can someone give me a little of your wisdom regarding LCWRA and backdated amount. 

I started my claim for lcwra on the 16th of July 2019 and have handed in consecutive sick notes from my doctor until the 13th December 2019. I have just checked my journal and after waiting 20 weeks the lcwra element will be payed to me for one month (£336. 20) I was under the impression that LCWRA payment was backdated from the very first day the sick note was handed in?(16/07/19) in those 20 weeks I have been unable to work because of my condition and have had to endure great financial hardship. Is the lcwra element backdated? Could someone please provide a link or further information that I could copy and send to my advisor? 

Also a award letter providing me with a breakdown of the actual LCWRA award (dates and amount) has not been sent to me or uploaded to my journal. Am I not at least entitled to that? I have asked for it but the response has been, "I'll email for further enquiries" I am genuinely at a loss as to why I have had to hand in sick notes from a specific date but not been awarded the amount from the same date. 

If I could work then I most certainly would. 

Thanks for your help. 

M. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Unfortunately your thoughts are not correct. The LCWRA is not awarded from the date you started sending in fit notes because there's a 3 month waiting period, then the LCWRA payment is paid from the 4th month of your claim. The reason it's paid from the 4th month is because UC is paid 1 month in arrears. What you've received is correct, See link and scroll to "when LCWRA is awarded" https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Long-term-health-condition-or-disability-Universal-Credit

You should have received a decision on your journal.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Mike72
    Options
    Hi Poppy, many thanks for that information.

It just seems slightly unfair to have to wait such a length of time but if that's the legislation then there isn't much I can do about it.

It would however, be nice to know the time scale of the LCWRA element. Is there a fixed period of time? Do I need to continue to hand in sick notes? I thought perhaps a decision/award letter might have been uploaded to give me that information. All I can do is ask for it again. 

Extremely grateful for your advice again Poppy. 

Thank you. 

M. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome,

Those rules have always been in place, it was the same for ESA, there was always a waiting period known as the assessment period for ESA.

Timescales for LCWRA, there isn't any because the award is ongoing BUT they can re-assess you anytime from 3 months. They will give you a timescale if you ask but it doesn't really mean anything. There's never any timescales on decision letters for the work capability assessment.  No, no more fit notes are needed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Mike72
    Options
    Brilliant Poppy, 
    I receive more information from you than I do from my advisor. I'm just grateful for the fact that  I have at least been awarded some financial assistance during this unfortunate time. 

Thank you poppy, thank you scope. 

M. 

• poppy123456
    Options
    You're very welcome, i'm glad i could help. DWP staff have unfortunately not been trained very well for UC and their knowledge is terrible.

At least you can relax now for a while and have a little extra money for Christmas :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.