Hi, my name is dcoo! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is dcoo!

dcoo
dcoo Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi, I’m new....ask away if you want to

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @dcoo   Pleased to meet you.
    Thank you for joining.
    I am one of the team of community champions.  We advise and support members of our community.
    Please have a look around our website. We are friendly. Join in discussions.
    Ask any questions. Happy to be supportive offer compassion and empathy.
    Please take care 

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dcoo and welcome to the community! Would you like to tell us a bit about yourself? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dcoo - Thank you for joining this very friendly & supportive community. I look forward to hearing about you too.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I'm glad you joined us @dcoo. How are you today? :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • dcoo
    Hi Adrian, Thankyou loads for your help in getting me here....??
  • dcoo
    Ok, Im a 52 yr old lady with MS. Im pretty positive until I have to deal with certain types ???....Thankyou soooo much for your warm welcome x
  • Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    Hi @dcoo I am sending you another warm welcome :) there's lots of lovely people on the site that are here to help. I am another volunteer community champion so there's plenty of people to talk to including other users on the site. I hope you find the scope community helpful and supportive ?
  • dcoo
    Thankyou Tammy,my initial reason to join was to seek advice on being able to get help in getting out of house with wheelchair, scooter. Once a week for a cuppa, garden centre anything really. ..Thankyou 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    dcoo said:
    Thankyou Tammy,my initial reason to join was to seek advice on being able to get help in getting out of house with wheelchair, scooter. Once a week for a cuppa, garden centre anything really. ..Thankyou 

HI and welcome,

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @dcoo      Good morning hope your doing OK. 

I am one of the team of community champions as well. As many of my friends and members of the team, added a lot of support and information.

Please may I suggest the following organisations

https://www.mssociety.org.uk.
    Helpline 0808 800 8000

https://www.ageuk.org.uk.

Please have a look at the last one as well.  Even though your in your early Fifties some areas of the Country accept those a certain age.

I applied few years ago for support was then early Fifties helped me a lot with additional sign posting.

I have also added those two as well. these do have welfare and may I add do have a community projects. Involved with members our community.

In a crisis or a problem often worth asking.

https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk.
    Helpline 020 7367 4500

https://www.redcross.org.uk.

Please if I can add one other important part of council  services. Called Wellbeing service. Under Community Health Unit. Good to know has a lot of support, advice, guidance to those with health issues. Looking at diet, fitness health. Plus can tell you and assist with signposting to relevant courses or organisations.

I used them after addiction signposting me to courses, living and wellbeing ones which I enrolled.

These very informative and are socially helpful.

Helps cope and deal with what you experiencing.

I would also add one other some services local councils offer a befriending scheme where your partnered with some one like yourself. Some charities do this as well.

Please have a look at your council website and on line. I hope if you need anything further please get in touch.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • dcoo
    Hi Spiceman, Thankyou for your reply. Fortunately, I wear an alert button, so I’m covered in that way. Unfortunately all the groups suggested do not offer transport. I have contacted Age UK and they are Very expensive, far too expensive for me. My local council have provided my alert button but no other support. I have tried my Lions club but again all volunteers are elderly and don’t do wheelchair.. Take care x
  • thespiceman
    Hello @dcoo   Sorry to hear this did you check out the other links.?

I have provided for you.

I forget to add there are befriending schemes usually set up by charities.

You need to look on line for these in your area.

One other point I sorry to hear you have to pay expenses for transport. Unfortunately nothing is free these days, sorry to tell you this.

I used to enol in charities as volunteer.  Often as a course all clientele want services for transport by support staff  or volunteers have to pay petrol costs.

You must remember many volunteers are on benefits and the running costs are expensive, to run around every one.

I was costing one charity so much money because picked up clientele all over the area and beyond.

I was on benefit at the time and had to ask for some assistance from other volunteers.  Scraping money to help those like yourself. It was agreed at meeting those wishing for a lift use a standing order to costs for those volunteers.

I would get refunds each month only after finance scrutinised every receipt and some cases dismissed several claims..

Another aspect of charities is funding, recently most mental health charities you set up a standing order. A certain amount to cover the staff costs and car parking.

You must understand that.

Even any courses or anything arts and crafts and so on pay a charge for the materials.

One final thing you need to be aware of there is help for you and assistance.

You do have a choice ask to be helped and find some money each month to put way . To help yourself . For costs.

Or unfortunately stay at home. The decision is yours.

I had to do this and understand the problems.

Please if I can help with anything else.

Please get in touch.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dcoo - I hope you find something that works out for you so you can get out each week. The Salvation Army mentioned above also have a befriending scheme & luncheon clubs in some areas.
    Remember to try Poppy's link too, where you refer yourself for an assessment, & they might be able to provide local help.
    Just try ringing your council as well; they're all different, & some provide more help than others. Please let us know how you get on.

Brightness