CBT - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CBT

2»

Comments

• Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    @Chloe_Scope
    Another thing with the WCA. I will be going alone. Is that necessarily a bad thing? Very anxious about the whole thing.
    Is the dwp suppose to help you get into work or just get you off benefits?
    Thanks Chloe
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Franstrahan, they will probably look at all conditions and then determine your ability to work. It shouldn't be affected by the fact that you go by yourself. I really hope it goes okay. :)
    Scope

• Bettahm
    @Chloe_Scope
    Thanks Chloe. I really want a part time job but dont think I'm ready yet as counselling has been erratic etc. Dont want to get a job and lose it quickly, like the last 3. Certainly dont want to be attending Job Clubs or whatever they call them now as cant deal with social situations. All I can do at the WCA is tell them how it is. I'll post here how it went later on Friday.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    That makes perfect sense @Franstrahan. I hope Friday goes okay. :)
    Scope

• brujah81
    brujah81 Community member Posts: 56 Courageous
    I had my first CBT session last week and have my next one on the 6th of January.. we basically went over what effects my anxiety and my disabilities etc and i am really hopeful its going to help.
    She gave me some websites that she said could help me..

I hope that these are useful for you guys
    Kelly x

• Bettahm
    @brujah81
    I will have a look at those websites. My counsellors have unfortunately discharged me although I have depression and high anxiety. They've told me to look for an autism support group, which i am doing, but I'm not very happy about being discharged. They said I was unsuitable for counselling so was hoping they could offer me CBT.
  • brujah81
    @Franstrahan thats not good that they have discharged you when everything hasnt been resolved... i went through my doctors and then through something called "Time to Talk" and now "CBT". We will see if it helps.. nothing has helped with my anxiety so far and it has so far been rather controlling my life.
  • Bettahm
    @brujah81
    I am pretty angry over it as last time I spoke to the counsellor she said my anxiety was high and I still have depression. Then she said I'm discharging you to Social Prescribing because you're not ready to be able to take counselling yet.
    About to check out your links.
  • brujah81
    @Franstrahan ah how odd.. tell me if you find the links of any use.. apparently although one of the links is Australia it is still very useful.

Love Kelly x
  • Bettahm
    @brujah81
    Yes they're interesting, especially the first one, so will set aside a couple of hours and go thru that site. And the meditation one, might sign up for that. I know I need some help, just seems hard to get it!! 
    Did you see the horse thread I posted? The horses help people with ASD but may be worth contacting your local group as sure they would probably help with anxiety too. I've contacted my local one, will probably hear in the new year now.
  • brujah81
    @Franstrahan the first one does look very interesting.. what is ASD? I will look at my local group and find out and hopefully find out soon..

Kelly x
  • Bettahm
    @brujah81
    ASD is Autism Spectrum Disorder which I have. Diagnosed this year at 58, they didnt pick it up in the days I was a kid so theres 1000s of us walking around still undiagnosed.
    I think the counsellors I had think my depression and anxiety stem from the autism, as they've told me to look for a local support group.
    Try the horses though, locally. They may help, sure they will have a calming effect.
  • JenCo
    JenCo Community member Posts: 122 Pioneering
    Hi @Franstrahan
    I've had CBT for post-traumatic stress and to help me with my bulimia. Honestly, it's helped me really turn my life around. It worked wonders for me but I have a couple of friends who weren't as impressed. Whatever form of therapy you take on remember to take your time, be patient with yourself and follow your counsellor's guidance. Healing takes time. Whatever counselling you're offered I hope it brings you peace, closure and maybe even joy :)
  • Bettahm
    @JenCo
    Thank you. Somebody told me you have to work at it with CBT, I guess to change your behaviour or way of thinking. I'm guessing with the counsellor discharging me she thinks the underlying problem is the autism. I have found a local support group and emailed them, also the horses, but guessing it'll be the other side of Christmas before I hear from either of them.
    Strangely enough ASD isn't classed as a mental health problem. It's a learning disability. (I disagree with that). Its like Aspergers is now called High Functioning Autism. I suspect theres still a lot they dont understand.
    Thank you for your good wishes.

Brightness