Hi, my name is nanjones1! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is nanjones1!

nanjones1
nanjones1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I’m due to have a full knee replacement around March 2020, am I able to apply for pip as soon as I get my operation date or do I have to wait?

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nanjones1 - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining.
    As far as PIP goes, my understanding is that a person might have difficulties with either daily living activities, or mobility, or both for at least 3 months, & expect to have such continuing difficulties for a further 9 months at least to qualify. PIP isn't about a diagnosis, but how your problems affect you. Perhaps it might be considered that following a knee replacement you might manage better?
    Please have a look at this link which may better explain: https://www.gov.uk/pip/eligibility
    If you need to ask more, please do say.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

As surgery is usually only done to improve your conditions then you may not qualify under the 9 month rule. You will need to prove that your conditions will still be affecting you in 9 months as well as how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • nanjones1
    nanjones1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you both for getting back to me.  Once I have my first replacement I go straight on the list for my second full knee replacement.  I'm down as an emergency as I've been left for so long.  Hopefully then they should take that into consideration.  fingers crossed.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome, remember PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you. Have a read of this guide, it may help you understand the descriptors more because it's easy to think you should score x amount of points but it's not always possible. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nanjones1 and a very warm welcome to the community, how are you getting? :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.