Given 0 points for moving around — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Given 0 points for moving around

Options
allyrose
allyrose Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited December 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, I have great pain with osteoarthritis in my knees, hips and spine and walk with a crutch all the time.  However, PIP are saying I can stand and walk more than 200 metres aided or unaided which I can't without extreme pain and gave me 0 points for moving around.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,980 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome.

If you disagree with the decision and it was made within the last month then you should request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) you should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Although most MR decisions remain the same, there is also a chance that you could lose everything you already have, if you have an award in place. Of course the decision could also change but it's very rare. If you do have an award in place then i'd advise you to get some expert face to face advice before requesting the MR because no one on an internet forum can tell you if there's any risks to your current award.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @allyrose - Welcome to the community from me too. If I can add to the important information that Poppy has given, the fact that your walking means you need an aid such as a stick, or in your case a crutch, is not considered with PIP, as this 'aids' your walking. What may help your case is that walking causes you extreme pain.
    As far as the 'Moving Around' part of PIP goes, you should be able to do this 'reliably.'
    According to DWP guidance:
    ‘When assessing whether the activity can be carried out reliably, consideration should be given to
    the manner in which they do so. This includes but is not limited to, their gait, their speed, the risk of
    falls and symptoms or side effects that could affect their ability to complete the activity, such as
    pain, breathlessness and fatigue. However, for this activity this only refers to the physical act of
    moving.'
    If you haven't scored any points for this component it might be worth pursuing, But, if you have do have an award for the 'Daily Living' part, you might lose this, as, if you go for a MR, the whole award is looked at again. Sadly few cases are successful with a MR. So please seek local face to face advice as advised.

• allyrose
    allyrose Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    I've already done the MR as after the face to face I was awarded 0 points they have now given me 11 points for daily living needs and 0 for mobility which is my main problem.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.